Turn on thread page Beta

North Korea watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Check out their official web site, it is so funny how they make out to be the politically correct ones and condemning foreign political views specially USA, now who in South Korea wants their unification to become a communist state. They must think that the rest of the world is as naive as their own people.

http://www.korea-dpr.com

ReputationRep:
    Mind you its not like the west's any better; I know that the Labour party thinks its actually improving public services a great deal - what a sham! Or that the US can get away with a 'War on Terror' - like that works! Hey guys let's have a war on war itself! Kill all war-mongering ppl!

ReputationRep:
    Try this one...

Make sure you read some of the 'news' articles. Then bear in mind that this is the governing party of Zimbabwe.

Also check out the address of the party; could you get a more apt one?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who finds North Korea (DPRK) fascinating? Its the only Stalinist state left on earth, and the way in which the educate and misinform people is on one hand funny, but also quite sad. Try their news agency for example: www.kcna.co.jp.
    Koryo Tours runs holidays to DPRK; I'd love to visit Pyonyang. Its designed as a state of the art flagship city after being decimated during the Korean War. Its full of open spaces and wide roads, yet there are few cars and the city is sparsely populated. The majority of the people live on collective farms and only high ranking civil servants have the privelige of living in the city. The border at Panjunmun is especially poignant, North and South Korean soldiers only feet away from each other, but separated by two massively different cultures and ideologies.
    The stories of forced labour camps and the immense poverty of the people is shocking, especially considering the military expenditure of the government, but DPRK is a Stalinist themepark, untouched by the outside world. Does anyone else find DPRK intruiging? Or is it just me?
    Check out news.bbc.co.uk for more info on the country, especially the coverage and analysis post-disaster at Ryonchong.

Carl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Am I the only one who finds North Korea (DPRK) fascinating? Its the only Stalinist state left on earth, and the way in which the educate and misinform people is on one hand funny, but also quite sad. Try their news agency for example: www.kcna.co.jp.
    Koryo Tours runs holidays to DPRK; I'd love to visit Pyonyang. Its designed as a state of the art flagship city after being decimated during the Korean War. Its full of open spaces and wide roads, yet there are few cars and the city is sparsely populated. The majority of the people live on collective farms and only high ranking civil servants have the privelige of living in the city. The border at Panjunmun is especially poignant, North and South Korean soldiers only feet away from each other, but separated by two massively different cultures and ideologies.
    The stories of forced labour camps and the immense poverty of the people is shocking, especially considering the military expenditure of the government, but DPRK is a Stalinist themepark, untouched by the outside world. Does anyone else find DPRK intruiging? Or is it just me?
    Check out news.bbc.co.uk for more info on the country, especially the coverage and analysis post-disaster at Ryonchong.

Carl
    I also find it very interesting. Although it is clearly a Stalinist state, it actually seems even more backward and secretive than the original Stalinist Russia and its sattelites. It is probably because it is no longer part of a world-wide Stalinist imperial conquest, but has now had to turn in on itself to preserve itself against the fall of Stalinism during the 80s and 90s.

The result of this? Well, an incredibly strange example of what happens when a small group of people are desperate to maintain power in a country that is not only afraid of anything and everything outside its borders, but has been left completely in its self-induced isolation.

Saying this, I'd give anything to overthrow this regime (dont take this too literally if your reading, George W).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.