Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi I currently have a 2009 white MacBook but am looking to upgrade

I was thinking of getting the rMBP with 128gb memory but not sure if it will be enough?

I download quite a bit of tv but I don't actually store it on my computer very often and I also have an external hard drive I could use.

I had almost decided to go with the 128gb but the more I read the more I think it won't be enough!

I'm toying with the idea of paying a similar amount of money for the air with 256gb but I feel like I should be getting the most up to date model available! What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    The air would be lighter than the rMBP. However if you do want the extra power and the retina display of the rMBP then you could always get an external hard drive.
    The air has enough power for most people though.

ReputationRep:
    rMBP any day. I think that the MacBook Air 13 is now in a very niche category, that it might fail in, why buy an underpowered laptop, when you can get one streets faster and only slightly bigger?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies

The retina display doesn't slow the computer down at all does it? I don't know much about the technical side of things!

Maybe I should say that I have a 32gb iPod that I still haven't completely filled so maybe the 128 would be enough!

ReputationRep:
    The display on the RMBP doesn't (in reality) slow it down compared to the old ones with lower resolutions displays, when you do normal stuff like office, web browsing or watching HD video. Without going in to too much technical detail if you play a game with the higher resolution it will be slower. This can be fixed though by turning down the resolution, which makes it faster.

RMBP over the air any day for me though. If you know how (I presume you don't) you can change the SSD out for a larger one or a HDD, your self and save some money.

In terms of storage 128gb isn't a lot and whilst personally i had that much on one of my old phones and I couldn't live with that much, for some people 128Gb is adequate. It really depends on what your doing if you're going to be installing programs like aperture & photoshop, with a load of movies and music then a SSD isn't for you. You'd be much better off with a hard drive. If it's office and surfing the web then it'll be enough, in terms of mass storage, ie; documents, film, pictures, then buying a external HDD is perfectly acceptable. You can find USB 3 ones now in sizes up to 3tb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jespy)
    rMBP any day. I think that the MacBook Air 13 is now in a very niche category, that it might fail in, why buy an underpowered laptop, when you can get one streets faster and only slightly bigger?!

How is the thin & light category a niche? Have you seen the amount of ultrabooks released in the last year? Laptops are going to become thiner, lighter and smaller. People don't want a 2kg laptop, with a 1 hour battery life, although they're cheaper and a tiny bit more powerful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitty123)

I was thinking of getting the rMBP with 128gb memory but not sure if it will be enough?

I download quite a bit of tv but I don't actually store it on my computer very often and I also have an external hard drive I could use.

I had almost decided to go with the 128gb but the more I read the more I think it won't be enough!

I'm toying with the idea of paying a similar amount of money for the air with 256gb but I feel like I should be getting the most up to date model available! What do you think?
    Unless you *know* that you need a computer as powerful as the rMBP, I'd advise you to go with a MacBook air as they are much cheaper and more portable and way more than powerful enough for all but the most demanding users. The one exception I can think of is if you're really into gaming. But for pretty much anything else the vast majority of people use computers for, it's probably just not worth the extra money for the pro.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that explanation I watch tv & movies on my laptop but I generally don't keep them. I also store photos on an external hard drive as I don't see the need to keep them on my laptop! The only thing I would want to keep on it would be all my music.

It's so difficult when you don't know much about laptops! I browse the web a lot and watch hd yt vids a lot, so I'm thinking the 128gb would probably suffice.

On another forum though I was given a link to an article where there is problems with the display if lg produced it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies

The retina display doesn't slow the computer down at all does it? I don't know much about the technical side of things!

Maybe I should say that I have a 32gb iPod that I still haven't completely filled so maybe the 128 would be enough!
    Not in any noticable way, although it will vastly drain battery life, but I assume they've put in a larger battery to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    I have a non-retina MBP (late 2011) and I could never bring myself to spend £500 extra on a retina version, well, not in my current student financial state anyway.
    If you can afford it comfortably, then why not, but I don't feel like the non-retina MBP offers much less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikecsh)
    Unless you *know* that you need a computer as powerful as the rMBP, I'd advise you to go with a MacBook air as they are much cheaper and more portable and way more than powerful enough for all but the most demanding users. The one exception I can think of is if you're really into gaming. But for pretty much anything else the vast majority of people use computers for, it's probably just not worth the extra money for the pro.
    I think you may be right, whatever I get will be faster than my macbook now so I suppose than should be good enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Not in any noticable way, although it will vastly drain battery life, but I assume they've put in a larger battery to compensate.
    That's a good point, I would take a longer battery life over retina display

ReputationRep:

128 GB is not enough in my opinion. Ive had my 15 inch macbook pro for 3 years and with normal usage I've filled up 130 gb in the hard drive. I dont even keep movies or music on my laptop, just software and files really.

Now I find apple to be a very cunning company, as much as I love them, I hate them for some of the things they do. Firstly the retina macbook pros and the macbook airs do NOT have removable storage or RAM. So once you pick your storage size you are stuck with it, same goes for the RAM.

I'm guessing apple do this to make you upgrade the whole machine after a while so they can make more money from you, they kind of own their own market so their isn't much competition between macs.

I'm assuming your talking about the 13 inch retina macbook pro as you mentioned switching it out for the macbook air. In all honesty it's a weigh up between the retina screen (which is nice but it loses its wow factor like my ipad 3 did after a while) and portability. The 13 inch macbook air is the better portable machine and the retina 13 inch macbook pro is the powerhouse. I say powerhouse but it is HUGELY outclassed by the 15 inch retina macbook pro.

TO SUM UP:

+Get at least 256 GB SSD ( make sure it's an SSD, HDDs cripple laptops imo)
    + Get at least 4 GB RAM
    + Processor wise just make sure it's anything in the i series for intel

If I had to pick one, I'd take the 13 inch retina, purely cos it looks beautiful and the retina display.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)
    128 GB is not enough in my opinion. Ive had my 15 inch macbook pro for 3 years and with normal usage I've filled up 130 gb in the hard drive. I dont even keep movies or music on my laptop, just software and files really.

Now I find apple to be a very cunning company, as much as I love them, I hate them for some of the things they do. Firstly the retina macbook pros and the macbook airs do NOT have removable storage or RAM. So once you pick your storage size you are stuck with it, same goes for the RAM.

I'm guessing apple do this to make you upgrade the whole machine after a while so they can make more money from you, they kind of own their own market so their isn't much competition between macs.

I'm assuming your talking about the 13 inch retina macbook pro as you mentioned switching it out for the macbook air. In all honesty it's a weigh up between the retina screen (which is nice but it loses its wow factor like my ipad 3 did after a while) and portability. The 13 inch macbook air is the better portable machine and the retina 13 inch macbook pro is the powerhouse. I say powerhouse but it is HUGELY outclassed by the 15 inch retina macbook pro.

TO SUM UP:

+Get at least 256 GB SSD ( make sure it's an SSD, HDDs cripple laptops imo)
    + Get at least 4 GB RAM
    + Processor wise just make sure it's anything in the i series for intel

If I had to pick one, I'd take the 13 inch retina, purely cos it looks beautiful and the retina display.
    Thanks for this have you heard of any problems with the retina screen? I was shown this article http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/macboo...ery-dimension/ & it has completely thrown me! I was leaning towards the retina until I saw that.

Do you know what the difference is between the following 3 :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-ME662B...4141121&sr=1-6

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-macbook-...book+retina+13

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-macbook-...223036152.prd?
    browseToken=%2fq%2fmacbook+retin a+13

The bottom 2 look to be the same but one is 100 cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this have you heard of any problems with the retina screen? I was shown this article http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/macboo...ery-dimension/ & it has completely thrown me! I was leaning towards the retina until I saw that.

Do you know what the difference is between the following 3 :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-ME662B...4141121&sr=1-6

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-macbook-...book+retina+13

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-macbook-...223036152.prd?
    browseToken=%2fq%2fmacbook+retin a+13

The bottom 2 look to be the same but one is 100 cheaper!
    I didn't know about that retina problem. Apple are very good with customer service though, if you ever did occur a problem, they would switch out your laptop no questions asked. The only issue is the warranty though, they usually give you 1 year but you can extend it to 3 years with apple care.

Why dont you buy your laptop from the Apple Education Store online, there you get the product directly from apple, can customise it as much as you want and you get a nice discount on top as well.

Those 3 laptops are almost the same BUT that 2 of them have 2.6 GHZ I5 processors and 1 has a 2.5 GHZ I5 processor.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no longer a student so I can't get a discount

Think I might be getting carried away with the retina screen, if there was no problems I would buy it now but now I have seen the article I am leaning towards the air with 256gb as a more reliable (?) machine.

That screen is fantastic though....

ReputationRep:
    Gone for the air, thanks for the replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrtricks)
    How is the thin & light category a niche? Have you seen the amount of ultrabooks released in the last year? Laptops are going to become thiner, lighter and smaller. People don't want a 2kg laptop, with a 1 hour battery life, although they're cheaper and a tiny bit more powerful.
    no, they're still niche. they are still more expensive and sold in fewer quantity to 'normal' sized laptops. I myself would see no reason to trade my 15" MBP for a rMBP, simply because I like the size, cooling is better and it runs, at least in my opinion, faster than the rMBP...the same can be said for the rMBP vs MBA

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.