Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would I be able to train people as a Personal trainer without qualifications? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am curious as to whether I would be able to do this. I am thinking of going back to University, but to help with costs, I was that I could train people on my time off. The thing is, I do not have any qualifications. I was thinking that if I could set up some kind of client base, like maybe start off doing it for free and get my name out there, then build up from there with people paying me.

I don't know if this would work, but would it be worth a try?

ReputationRep:
    You could try it, but I'm not sure how successful you'd be. Don't personal trainers have to have a qualification these days?

ReputationRep:
    You can offer services, and it's up to the individual whether they pay for those services or not, as long as you don't mislead them. You might not be able to get a job in a gym, as it's up to them what they ask their staff to provide with regards to qualifications, but there's nothing wrong with going it alone and advertising.

I teach music to kids with no teaching qualifications, and do really well. I have experience, and that counts for more.. but yet I wouldn't get a job in a school. Similar situation, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You will do be able to get a job at a gym at all as you need at least a Level 2.

Personal trainers should have qualifications as there is a lot you learn in your exams about how it all should be done, health and safety etc although if you wanted to do it without then I don't know the regulations on it... You must make sure all your clients know you don't have the relevant qualifications

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's slightly similar... I needed a personal tutor as I'm trying to learn a language, but I couldn't afford the £20-25 an hour that professional agencies charge. I went on gumtree and advertised what I was looking for, and ended up getting a tutor for half the price because she's not actually qualified.

I think there would be plenty of people willing to use you as personal trainers can be very expensive, but be prepared to charge less, at least in some cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It'd be reckless imo to set up freelance without liability insurance in case you get sued. Insurers will (I expect) want to see some qualification.

Insurance is the reason for a lot of 'ticket' qualifications to exist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.