Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staying at Uni Over Holidays - it's getting me down Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am forced to stay at uni over the holidays for many reasons, though mainly because I work here and I don't have a contract that allows me to take enough time off to go home over uni holidays. I had to do this over Xmas, and had a really tough time - I only went home for 4 days over Xmas and my New Year consisted of me sitting at home on my own because I had work the next morning at 8. Thankfully (I guess) I had lots of essays so I was fairly distracted until after I'd finished them, but when that happened I got so depressed.

Now, it's Easter and I have to work again, which is great because money, but I have no essays to distract me, only revision. I've been off for 3 days and I can already feel myself getting depressed because I'm not seeing anyone, and all I'm doing is working for enough money to pay my rent anyway, so it's not as if I've got more cash coming in and can live in a little bit of luxury. I would have gone home now but I have a staff meeting tonight, and it's so expensive to take the train that I simply can't justify it.

It's really getting me down and my boyfriend is getting sick of me whining about it simply because he can't do anything and isn't in the financial situation to be able to come to me either. Plus if he did I'd be working a lot of the time which means early mornings. I can't expect him to pay for me either which is what would be necessary for me to be able to do anything with him.

I was really looking forward to having time to read and watch stuff I'd missed, but even when I'm doing that I just hate myself for doing nothing but sitting around.

I just feel perpetually guilty and it's getting me down.

Is there anyone else who stays at uni and struggles with it? Or do I just suck?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you can't a contract which allows you to work in a branch in your hometown over holidays?

What about getting a coach home? Megabus are far cheaper than trains.

Assuming everything will be fine once term starts again, just focus on that. Uni holidays aren't that long so just focus on doing your revision really well and it'll be over soon.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe go to the library every day to do your revision? Surely there will be someone at the library you know! If not, at least it feels like a productive place and feels like you're doing something with a purpose with your time?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.