Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's an appropriate way to thank someone for financial help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What's the appropriate way to thank a family member for financial help?
    I'm the youngest child in my family and I'm finishing uni in two months. My grandfather has just offered to pay off all of his grand children's student debts. Obviously I'm very grateful, but I'm not so great at thanking people or letting them know how much they're helping me out. I have a good relationship with the man, but it's somewhat 'formal'.

What would be the appropriate gesture?

ReputationRep:
    What a great man your grandfather is! Maybe a thank you card?

ReputationRep:
    Don't send him a card. Call him up or thank him in person. It's a really great thing he's doing, I think it deserves more than just a quickly handwritten letter.

ReputationRep:
    Try and meet him personally, thank him and give him a handwritten card. In this financial crisis, he's helping a great deal, so you can tell him how greatful you are. It would be nice to get him something too. e.g. my grandfather loved mugs, those grandad type hats, and he loved to read biographies. Ask about things he likes, and surprise him, even if it is a small gesture, he'll appreciate it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Take him on a day out somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a thoroughly decent chap.

As above, call or see him personally. A card would not suffice for such an act of kindness.

ReputationRep:
    Actually go in person to thank him, and then stay round for a cup of tea, spend the day together, something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank him in person and mean it. Make sure he knows how much it means to you by speaking seriously to him.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the above, a card and a visit is in order.

Id also let him know what It means to you. Ie, "because you have done this I can now feel more relaxed about taking this job/that opportunity". He has done this to help you get ahead and will take massive satisfaction from you telling him how this has helped.

Keep him posted too! And perhaps offer to take him for a meal? Although he sounds like he would refuse to let you pay the gesture would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    He must be loaded

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get a thank you card with some nice chocolates then go round and give them to him in person

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to pay mine off as well and I will thank him for you. Just Joking, Like most people have said you need to go and see him.

ReputationRep:
    Take him out for a meal?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I wouldn't recommend spending lots of money because they kind of flies in the face of him giving you 'financial help' but I think the most valuable thing you can do is thank him in person and really show you appreciate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.