Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No, you can ridicule me back if you like! I deserve it.
    Who doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why there is such confusion over a simple concept:

Don't ridicule the opinions of others.

Fair enough if you want to anyway - but it makes you look like a prick.

ReputationRep:
    I am in favour of gay marriages (being gay one could say am biased )
    under the Human Rights Act 1998 we have a right to marry whomever we want- so y not allow same-sex marriage as well? Isnt democracy supposedly be the means for a liberal society? am also for gay couples with children- i wanna have about 4 since I love kids and no one will stop me from raising them with my partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I don't know why there is such confusion over a simple concept:

Don't ridicule the opinions of others.

Fair enough if you want to anyway - but it makes you look like a prick.
    A ridiculous opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenrevolt)
    I am in favour of gay marriages (being gay one could say am biased )
    under the Human Rights Act 1998 we have a right to marry whomever we want- so y not allow same-sex marriage as well? Isnt democracy supposedly be the means for a liberal society? am also for gay couples with children- i wanna have about 4 since I love kids and no one will stop me from raising them with my partner
    I agree that gays should be allowed to marry. I draw the line at gays raising children though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that gays should be allowed to marry. I draw the line at gays raising children though.
    why? if a gay couple can give a child a more loving upbringing than it would receive from an orphange etc. then why not? greenrevolt seems to like kids, and Im sure would do a better job of looking after them than some same sex couples I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    why? if a gay couple can give a child a more loving upbringing than it would receive from an orphange etc. then why not? greenrevolt seems to like kids, and Im sure would do a better job of looking after them than some same sex couples I know.
    But should we be bringing up children in an environment that clearly promotes homosexuality? Will it influence their children's sexuality; while I don't have anything against homosexuals and I have no evidence to suggest children of same-sex couples will share their guardians views, if it happens that children raised by these couples are more likely to be homosexual soon we may be lacking offspring!

ReputationRep:
    Surely that is discrimnation based on sexual-orientation. If you agree with allowing marridge of gays (which is essentially a religious concept to start a family with childrend etc), surely it follows than when married they should be encourged to have a family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    But should we be bringing up children in an environment that clearly promotes homosexuality? Will it influence their children's sexuality; while I don't have anything against homosexuals and I have no evidence to suggest children of same-sex couples will share their guardians views, if it happens that children raised by these couples are more likely to be homosexual soon we may be lacking offspring!
    is that a bad thing? the world is overpopulated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    is that a bad thing? the world is overpopulated
    No. The world is NOT over populated. AND people are dying faster than they are being born. AND many countries have large portions of the populous who are OLD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    This is a tough one; while we generally find homosexuality acceptible, we don't seem to when it interferes with our idea of what a 'proper family' should be like. So what if same-sex couples produce homosexual offspring? We do accept homosexuality after all. But it seems, only up to a point.

Lack of offspring is irrelevant really unless the population started to decline, which it probably wouldn't for a long long time given the current stats about how many people are homosexual.
    Agreed. I find it inconsistent to want gay marridge and then deny them the opportunity to adopt children.

ReputationRep:
    This is a tough one; while we generally find homosexuality acceptible, we don't seem to when it interferes with our idea of what a 'proper family' should be like. So what if same-sex couples produce homosexual offspring? We do accept homosexuality after all. But it seems, only up to a point.
    It suppose it depends on whether homosexuality comes from nature or nurture. I don't know if this has been answered? I imagine it is nature rather than nurture, hearing so many stories of parents who disown their children when they learn they are gay makes me think that they didn't bring them up to be homosexual.

If that is the case then homosexual parents would be ideal parents for the many babies and children who need to be adopted.

(Original post by Piggy)
    Lack of offspring is irrelevant really unless the population started to decline, which it probably wouldn't for a long long time given the current stats about how many people are homosexual.
    No it wouldn't for a long time, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about it, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    No. The world is NOT over populated. AND people are dying faster than they are being born. AND many countries have large portions of the populous who are OLD.
    no, in the world as a whole, more peole are being born than are dying. yes, many countries have populations who are old, this can be solved by guestworkers from other countries, who can either move to those countries, or can live there for a while and send money home, thus helping the economy from which they have come.

ReputationRep:
    There are more pressing issues concerning the future of the species than a population decline due to gay adoptions! Priorities my friend.
    aye, like feeding the population that we do have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Surely that is discrimnation based on sexual-orientation. If you agree with allowing marridge of gays (which is essentially a religious concept to start a family with childrend etc), surely it follows than when married they should be encourged to have a family?
    I'm sure I'm going to get whacked for this but here is what I think.

I believe that children are best raised by two parents, one of each sex, both providing positive role models.

I think it's pretty well established statistically that children raised by 2 married parents, one of each sex, are most likely to achieve in almost every sphere of life you can mention; school, relationships, jobs etc.

PLEASE! Before anybody get's on their high horse I am well aware of the superb job that many single parents do and the atrocious job done by some couples. I know it's always dangerous to generalize so PLEASE don't jump down my throat on this. I'm not critisizing anyone here.

However, if the evidence suggests that GENERALLY children do best brought up in the "boring old traditional 2 parents of different sex environment" and given the amount of couples unable to have children of their own, I'd prefer to see children adopted to these people than to a gay couple.

I know this is discriminatory and I'm sorry for that. But raising a child is NOT a God given right and here I'm more concerned about the children in question than about the "rights" of a gay couple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky062)
    Does anyony know of any anti-homosexual webpages? I am doing a project on gay marriage for my law degree and so far have found no real material opposing it. Also views on gay marriage would be appreciated!
    great poll

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to point out that in this country single people are allowed to adopt children and this obviously isn't the "perfect family" so why shouldn't gay couples be allowed too. Yes there are many heterosexual couples who cannot have children but without trivialising the matter if there are still children in care who obviously aren't being adopted but either single or strait couples why not let them have a loveing home with a stable gay couple? Surely this is better than care.
    I have not problem with gay people raising children and I really don't understand why people do.
    When is comes to gay marriage I am not sure, marriage is a religious institution and as most religions don't agree with homosexuality gay marriage would be very unpopular. However I do think that there should be some sort of legally binding union that can be made by two gay people which allows them to be the next of kin automatically, raise each others children and have the same rights as married couples.

ReputationRep:
    What's all the '?' doing at the poll box? :confused:

Shouldn't it be a 'yes, i agree' or 'no, i agree' sort of poll?

Yeah... i agree with all, it's CONFUSING!

ReputationRep:
    Certainly, there are alot of issues to be discussed here...

1. Religious

Does God create Man and Woman so that they can 'penetrate' their own gender?

Does it go against the law of nature?

2. Moral

Is it morally allowed? What are the views of the general public?

3. Social

Will it decrease the population size of a country? Will there be discrimination against them?

4. Economical

Will it bring about new economical development? (i.e. Gay bars)

5. Political

Will people discriminate against a government if they openly expressed that gay marriage or lesbie marriage is allowed?

Or will it add on to their political agenda or manifestation?

Sorry dude, I know my reply is abit vague.. but these questions spring into my mind as soon as i see the topic.

Anyway, i am abit conservative. I don't really approve of the idea. It's like it's against the rule of nature. No offence to gays and lesbies, but it's like they have nothing better to do?

ReputationRep:
    its very hard to be given a baby to adopt iif u r a gay couple- and the struggle to get one is huge- so possiblity is that u will take care of the baby and not neglect it-I think that a gay family is the one that can offer the most care and the most love and affection, simply because its just so difficult to be allowed to adopt.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.