Turn on thread page Beta

gay marriage watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenrevolt)
    its very hard to be given a baby to adopt iif u r a gay couple- and the struggle to get one is huge- so possiblity is that u will take care of the baby and not neglect it-I think that a gay family is the one that can offer the most care and the most love and affection, simply because its just so difficult to be allowed to adopt.
    But do take into account the amount of immerse stress that the child is going to have while he's growing up. He might be ridiculed, laughed at to the point that he may develop low self-esteem and become an introvert.

Will he be influenced to be a gay as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I agree that gays should be allowed to marry. I draw the line at gays raising children though.
    I think that gay and lesbian couples should be aloud to raise children. The lengths at whihc these couples go to in order to have childen (especially gay couples) is heartbreaking as they face opposition at every step, yet they are determined to keep fightng.

I suppose one could argue that this determination does not show love for wanting a child, but to prove a point that they can have one, but i feel that having a child is a monumental step for any couple, but when they are same sex it make it difficult.

I watched a documentary on this and the children were not weird in anyway - although one of a lesbian couples two boys kept referring to his mummies as "being sisters", but i think that was because he was too young to fully comprehend the situation. The 7 year old was fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky062)
    Does anyony know of any anti-homosexual webpages? I am doing a project on gay marriage for my law degree and so far have found no real material opposing it. Also views on gay marriage would be appreciated!
    My opinion in general:

Same sex marrige do not bring any direct damage to society. The only real motive against same sex marriage is religious beleif. Therefore, the government should at least allow gay couples the same rights as married heterosexual couples, even if some religiouns do not provide the opportunity for same sex marriage. Even though I think it would be a bit far fetched to force the christian church into allowing gay couples to marry I do beleive that gay couples should have the right to be married in terms of the state and the law. That is, they should enyoy the same rights and benefits from the government as any other married couple. The basis of this being that the laws does prohibit discrimination against homosexuals.

When it comes to adoption the childrens rights should go first. This includes the childrens right to get the parents which are most suitable INCLUDING those who happen to be gay. That a cpuple is homosexual does not neccessarily imply that they will be less suitable as adoption parents for the child in question than the other heterosexual couples who have signed up for adoption. We owe it to the kids to evaluate ALL potantial parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The only real motive against same sex marriage is religious beleif.
    I disagree with this completely. There are plenty of athiests who are against homosexuality, unless you are suggesting their motives are not "real" because they don't have scriptures to back up their beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    All I know is that I love my new avatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    All I know is that I love my new avatar
    Wasn't a fan of Cruel Intentions myself the sequel was especially dire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Wasn't a fan of Cruel Intentions myself the sequel was especially dire!
    lol, I just realised this avatar was from cruel intentions. Hadn't noticed. Didn't really care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    [FONT=courier new]

Will he be influenced to be a gay as well?
    :rolleyes: Probably no more than somebody with straight parents is influenced to be gay. And if they are, then does it really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I disagree with this completely. There are plenty of athiests who are against homosexuality, unless you are suggesting their motives are not "real" because they don't have scriptures to back up their beliefs.
    What reasons would an atheist give for being against homosexuality though? Practically all the arguments I've ever heard are about how it goes against God and nature, surely an atheist isn't going to support this view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    What reasons would an atheist give for being against homosexuality though? Practically all the arguments I've ever heard are about how it goes against God and nature, surely an atheist isn't going to support this view?
    Many just find sodomy immoral and/or sickening. People don't always have logical reasons for everything.

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is a traditional act, so there for it should be kept that way.

Husband and Wife,

not...

Wife and Wife or Husband and Husband.

Eurgh.

Tosh

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha gay people make me laf they r so funny!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennadhs)
    Ha ha gay people make me laf they r so funny!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    yes we r hilarious. not as funny as the breeders though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    Marriage is a traditional act, so there for it should be kept that way.

Husband and Wife,

not...

Wife and Wife or Husband and Husband.

Eurgh.

Tosh
    What difference does it make to your life if someone else gets married? What business is it of yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Many just find sodomy immoral and/or sickening. People don't always have logical reasons for everything.
    Many people just find many human activities immoral or sickening. If they take place between consenting adults in private it is purely a matter of taste, not a matter of morality, no matter how sickening you find them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I agree that gays should be allowed to marry. I draw the line at gays raising children though.
    though i am not gay i belive that a good parent is a good parent and wether it is 2 women or 2 men or a man and a woman if you are a good parent then why does it matter as long as they love the child

ReputationRep:
    They may be good parents but how will the child feel? Will they be teased in the play ground? Will they turn out gay too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    Will they turn out gay too?
    Wouldn't that be awful. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky062)
    Does anyony know of any anti-homosexual webpages? I am doing a project on gay marriage for my law degree and so far have found no real material opposing it. Also views on gay marriage would be appreciated!
    Therewas an article in The Economist about this.

Among opther things they adressed teh argument about tradition. Basicly they author argued that just because Blacks were traditionally prohiobited from marrying whites in the past doesnt mean you should keep it that way. The argument about tradition would imply that we should not try to combat discrimination because it is the tradition...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Therewas an article in The Economist about this.

Among opther things they adressed teh argument about tradition. Basicly they author argued that just because Blacks were traditionally prohiobited from marrying whites in the past doesnt mean you should keep it that way. The argument about tradition would imply that we should not try to combat discrimination because it is the tradition...
    Now... that's is an idea.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.