Turn on thread page Beta

gay marriage watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benji_flavs)
    Give us the rights that come with marriage, that's great. But for ****sake don't call it marriage. It really gets to the bible bashers and 'return to family values' lot.
    Well, let's clarify. When you say "marriage" do you mean "civil marriage"? That shouldn't really alarm anyone, not even the most fundamentalist Christians. However, if you mean the "sacrament of matrimony" then that'd obviously wind up the "bible thumpers"

ReputationRep:
    In My Opinion....marriage Is A Union Between Male And Female....in Other Words,it Should Be A Heterosexual Relationship.
    Male + Male 'marriage'.........in My Opinion Is Morally And Socially Unacceptable........

ReputationRep:
    Now im gay and personally i dont really know if i like the term marriage but then again everyone can do what they want really although i so find the term 'partner' corny but hey. Either way i think it should be allowed to happen as some people are together for years and the one dies and then the other half doesn't have the same amount of rights but i dont think i'll be rushing to do it just right now...

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's clarify. When you say "marriage" do you mean "civil marriage"? That shouldn't really alarm anyone, not even the most fundamentalist Christians.
    You'd be surprised.

A better solution would be to make all weddings (gay and straight) "civil marriages", and let religious people have "religious marriages" not recognized by the state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    You'd be surprised.

A better solution would be to make all weddings (gay and straight) "civil marriages", and let religious people have "religious marriages" not recognized by the state.
    I think they do that in lots of countries. Now I might be wrong (I'm really not certain) but I think a civil marriage is required in all countries that have a separate church and state for that marriage to be recognized by the state.

Obviously this doesn't apply in England where the church is effectively a "branch" of the state meaning that a church marriage is automatically recognized by the state.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised.

Agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt4504)
    Now im gay and personally i dont really know if i like the term marriage but then again everyone can do what they want really although i so find the term 'partner' corny but hey. Either way i think it should be allowed to happen as some people are together for years and the one dies and then the other half doesn't have the same amount of rights but i dont think i'll be rushing to do it just right now...

Matt
    A "partner" is someone I play tennis with!

My view is that gays should be able to get married and call it "marriage" and enjoy all the benefits (if you can think of any) of marriage enjoyed by heterosexual couples. However, I would limit this idea to "civil marriages" (ie in a registery office) and not extend it to sacramental matrimony in a church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    A "partner" is someone I play tennis with!

My view is that gays should be able to get married and call it "marriage" and enjoy all the benefits (if you can think of any) of marriage enjoyed by heterosexual couples. However, I would limit this idea to "civil marriages" (ie in a registery office) and not extend it to sacramental matrimony in a church.
    Unless the church is, for example, UU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophistress)
    Unless the church is, for example, UU.
    What's UU?

ReputationRep:
    The CoE can do whatever it pleases with marriages that they conduct, as long as secular marriages with the same benefits/legal standing are introduced for gay people *and* straight people who aren't religious.

ReputationRep:
    What's UU?
    My lazy fingers. :rolleyes:

Unitarian Universalist; a liberal religious sect who support gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    My lazy fingers. :rolleyes:

Unitarian Universalist; a liberal religious sect who support gay marriage.
    Oh. Not come accross them. Are they a big Church?

ReputationRep:
    The CoE can do whatever it pleases with marriages that they conduct, as long as secular marriages with the same benefits/legal standing are introduced for gay people *and* straight people who aren't religious.
    Only if the CofE change the sacramental "propers" of matrimony. I don't think they've done so.

ReputationRep:
    I think they sohuld be allowed to do whatever they want with marriages, as long as their marriage blessings mean nothing outside the church.

ReputationRep:
    I think they sohuld be allowed to do whatever they want with marriages, as long as their marriage blessings mean nothing outside the church.
    Well, that won't happen since the CofE is fused to the State.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, either partially disestablish the church or force them to marry gay people seems like the best solution, practicality notwithstanding.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Not come accross them. Are they a big Church?
    They make up a whole 0.3% [c. 2001] of the population in the US.

There are also some sects of Judaism that support gay marriage, such as Reformed Jews [I think that's what they're called].

I believe it is their religious freedom to marry gays [in the sacramental sense].

ReputationRep:
    They make up a whole 0.3% [c. 2001] of the population in the US.

There are also some sects of Judaism that support gay marriage, such as Reformed Jews [I think that's what they're called].

I believe it is their religious freedom to marry gays [in the sacramental sense].
    Well, it's pretty easy for a church to make it's own rules up over the five non-dominical sacraments of which matrimony is one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, either partially disestablish the church or force them to marry gay people seems like the best solution, practicality notwithstanding.
    You can't really force the Church to marry anybody.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's pretty easy for a church to make it's own rules up over the five non-dominical sacraments of which matrimony is one.
    Make up its own rules?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.