Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Planning on going to Vietnam for 3/4 weeks before Thailand, is it worth also doing a week in Cambodia before Thailand or would it cost too much in terms of travel?

Have a few grand to spend .

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be worth visiting Cambodia whilst you're in that region. It's pretty cheap to travel between those countries (from what I remember I think the bus between Cambodia & Vietnam was around £13 one-way) so money shouldn't be an issue, especially if you've got a few grand to spend! Definitely check out Siem Reap if you have the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherbet)
    So you're going to waste it on travelling that'll do you no good?

If you're going there for the parties and women (95% of Western tourists do) and want to go to places like Siem Reap then stay at home and use your money on something useful because there's nothing exotic about these parties as they're just populated by other Westerners but they're just on a beach instead of a club.

Do some TEFL or something - look for something that allows you to help yourself (in terms of experience and skills) and others while being able to enjoy the culture and the beaches and parties.

There's no adventure or 'The Beach' ideals or places left in Thailand or Vietnam.

ReputationRep:
    Cambodia is crazy cheap. So yes, do it.

I also agree with the PP. As someone who lives in SE Asia, be careful and NEVER travel alone (especially as a woman).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laozi)
    So you're going to waste it on travelling that'll do you no good?

If you're going there for the parties and women (95% of Western tourists do) and want to go to places like Siem Reap then stay at home and use your money on something useful because there's nothing exotic about these parties as they're just populated by other Westerners but they're just on a beach instead of a club.

Do some TEFL or something - look for something that allows you to help yourself (in terms of experience and skills) and others while being able to enjoy the culture and the beaches and parties.

There's no adventure or 'The Beach' ideals or places left in Thailand or Vietnam.
    As a woman I'm not looking for women I'm looking to travel. Don't tell me I'm wasting my money, should I stay home and buy an ipad with the money I worked hard to earn? I want to have experiences, I think there's nothing better to spend your money on than travelling, memories last a lifetime.

I've done volunteering abroad and trust me it's far better for us to help by sending money to charities. It's such a cliche but with all of my volunteering I don't think that I was useful, I wasn't properly trained just a typical British teenager that spent 800 quid on flights.

I've been a carer and a teacher abroad, I've never just travelled so not I feel like I need to experience that too.

ReputationRep:
    As a woman I'm not looking for women I'm looking to travel. Don't tell me I'm wasting my money, should I stay home and buy an ipad with the money I worked hard to earn? I want to have experiences, I think there's nothing better to spend your money on than travelling, memories last a lifetime.
    No, stop taking the 'materialism is bad, travelling is much better' approach. I know. Why don't you take the money and travel around the UK? or is it not tropical enough for you? Not a fanciful enough story to boast about your friends too? Running away to far-away countries you know little about doesn't solve anything and doesn't give you a new look on life or make you a better person. Travelling around the UK is just the same as travelling around Burma.

Living there for months or years, learning their language, sharing in their hardships, living under their roofs, working their menial jobs. Helping them, teaching them. That's an experience that changes them and you.

What exact experience are you looking for then? Are you the type of women from 'Eat, Pray, Love' who swans off to erotic locations because she can't deal with her life and wants 'new' experiences, despite the fact that she's rich, healthy and comfortable.

Yes, travelling can be a great thing and i'm not putting you down but it's the people, the people who make travelling. You don't need to fly half-way around the world to find a decent man or women.

I've done volunteering abroad and trust me it's far better for us to help by sending money to charities. It's such a cliche but with all of my volunteering I don't think that I was useful, I wasn't properly trained just a typical British teenager that spent 800 quid on flights.
    No it's not. Throwing Western money at problems never helped anyone. It's our values, our goals and ideals that we should share around the world, not our god damn money or Western self-importance.

ReputationRep:
    Planning on going to Vietnam for 3/4 weeks before Thailand, is it worth also doing a week in Cambodia before Thailand or would it cost too much in terms of travel?

How long is the trip overall or is it just a case of when the money runs out? 3/4 weeks in Vietnam will prob cost between £400-600 depending on how much you drink really.
    I'd say Cambodia is worth it, Phnom Penh is only really worth going to if your interested in the Khmer Rough imo but Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is defo worth a trip. Some nice places on the south coast - one island i forget the name of + Sihanoukville if you do fancy a party.
    If anything overland through Cambodia is the cheapest way in to Thailand prob like £30-40 to make it into Thailand from Vietnam.
    Thailand will cost £500-700/month also depending on how you live so hopefully that can give you some idea of what you can do.

@Laozi - Is this thread titled "do you think I should travel in south east Asia? Please give me your opinion" - No it is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonDymond)
    How long is the trip overall or is it just a case of when the money runs out? 3/4 weeks in Vietnam will prob cost between £400-600 depending on how much you drink really.
    I'd say Cambodia is worth it, Phnom Penh is only really worth going to if your interested in the Khmer Rough imo but Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is defo worth a trip. Some nice places on the south coast - one island i forget the name of + Sihanoukville if you do fancy a party.
    If anything overland through Cambodia is the cheapest way in to Thailand prob like £30-40 to make it into Thailand from Vietnam.
    Thailand will cost £500-700/month also depending on how you live so hopefully that can give you some idea of what you can do.

@Laozi - Is this thread titled "do you think I should travel in south east Asia? Please give me your opinion" - No it is not.
    Not planning on drinking too much had enough of that at uni! I'm going to give myself 4 weeks for Vietnam, and then I suppose I can see if I want a week of that to be in Cambodia as you've sort of sold it to me a bit. I think I should have enough money, away for 6/7 weeks in total, so not too long. So excited!

Thanks for all the advice!

ReputationRep:
    He'll why not if you have dollar to burn then go for it both countries are cheap as chips anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.