Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an A level student offering maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm planning to go for a major in mathematics. I'm confused what's the difference between applied maths and pure maths, and which one has better job prospects?

P. S. I'm not very comfortable with statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaviraj404)
    I'm an A level student offering maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm planning to go for a major in mathematics. I'm confused what's the difference between applied maths and pure maths, and which one has better job prospects?

P. S. I'm not very comfortable with statistics.
    Normally you would just study one degree called maths, then depending on what module choices are available you would choose more pure or applied modules depending on which you prefer.

The choice of modules you make would not make a lot of difference to your employment prospects so you should just go with whichever areas you prefer.

On the other hand, you could go for a maths with... or maths and... degree, so many of your modules would be from a particular named area. Since your degree would have a different title, it would be more obvious to employers about what you've been studying although I wouldn't expect it to make a big difference to your chances.

With regards to statistics, it would depend on the university as to how much you can avoid it. At Warwick where I study, there's one compulsory stats module and the rest are optional.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, in my case it's different. The universities here in Thailand have the option between maths and applied maths. I don't clearly understand the difference between the two. The courses that the universities are offering are very similar for the two. Which one of these majors do you think is more recognized?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaviraj404)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, in my case it's different. The universities here in Thailand have the option between maths and applied maths. I don't clearly understand the difference between the two. The courses that the universities are offering are very similar for the two. Which one of these majors do you think is more recognized?
    The reputation of the university itself would probably have a big effect, and since I don't know much about universities in Thailand I couldn't really say.

In terms of of the difference between the two, most of the maths you've done at a-level would be classed as applied maths, even the core modules with differentiation and integration. So you'd probably already have an idea of what applied maths is like. Pure maths would cover things like:

If you've done anything about sets, and about the logical reasons why induction and contradiction proofs work

With matrices, it's not always true that AB=BA. If you're adding up hours of the day then depending on if you're using 12 or 24 hour clock it makes sense to say things like 13=1 or 26=2. Pure maths involves looking at what happens when you change the normal rules of arithmetic.

When plotting an inequality in a graph, sometimes you might include the boundary line in the area and other times you don't. When you have an area that doesn't include its boundary line then you have (roughly) what's called an open set. Open sets have many important mathematical properties.

Looking at whether functions converge to a limit or not, and the precise definition of that, and some unusual cases. For example if you were to plot the graph of y=log(log(x)) then it might look like it converges as x gets large but it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'm much clearer with what it is now. Thank you so much :getmecoat:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.