The Student Room Group

Hunting:Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbow.panda
I eat meat but I don't think killing animals purely for fun is justified. I don't see how anyone can take pleasure in ending a life :/

You eat meat for pleasure, don't you? It is possible for most people to live without meat, so the only reason they do it is because they like the taste. Is there any significant difference between gaining pleasure from directly killing an animal and getting pleasure from a dead animal's body that has been killed for you?
Original post by ArtGoblin
You eat meat for pleasure, don't you? It is possible for most people to live without meat, so the only reason they do it is because they like the taste. Is there any significant difference between gaining pleasure from directly killing an animal and getting pleasure from a dead animal's body that has been killed for you?

I eat meat because it's a natural part of the human diet and I was raised on it, I certainly wouldn't be able to go without it. I don't think it's justified to kill an animal just for the thrill of it, I think you have to be pretty sick in the head to actually ENJOY killing something.
I eat meat because it's a natural part of the human diet and I was raised on it, I certainly wouldn't be able to go without it. I don't think it's justified to kill an animal just for the thrill of it, I think you have to be pretty sick in the head to actually ENJOY killing something.

Why couldn't you go without it? It is difficult to break your food habits of a lifetime, but it's by no means impossible for the vast majority of people. You eat meat because it's easy and you like it - you have no grounds for condemning the people who kill the animals for you. Killing for a thrill and killing for enjoyment of food are no different; the animal ends up dead for a human's pleasure in both cases.
Reply 263
Original post by Hopple
Lol, you're not going to die, just keep trying. Are you actually proud that you managed to kill those animals in the OP, where they weren't trying to kill you and wouldn't be able to even if they tried? As for time, you're the one who chose to fly out to Africa.

Yes actually, it was a test of putting my skills of tracking and stealth against there exceedingly superior senses and ability to escape danger.

There is an added element of pride in helping maintain the ecosystem, protect crops and stop overpopulation in deer hunting.

And an oryx could kill me, quite easily, things are huge and vicious.
Reply 264
Original post by FrogInABog
If you think about it, the fox is actually killed in the most natural way, by what is essentially a predator. Many (possibly even most) wild animals are killed by other animals' teeth, so it's hardly extreme cruelty if a fox dies this way too. Also, it's a popular misconception that hunts consist entirely of the 'landed gentry' and snobby aristocrats. Most hunts are made up mainly of farmers and other ordinary people with horses, and titled people are a small minority, so it's hardly "toffy".

Your right actually.

I retract the point in it's entirety, cheers my friend!
Reply 265
Original post by nimrodstower
The OP stated he hunts mostly for fun, that is the clue. He has no respect for life at all,

Nonsense, I have stated numerous times that I hold the Animal in the highest respect.
Reply 266
Original post by Syrokal
Yes actually, it was a test of putting my skills of tracking and stealth against there exceedingly superior senses and ability to escape danger.
Says you wearing camouflage at night, presumably with night vision, hunting a deer. If you couldn't find one it'd either be bad luck or because you decided to fell a tree, not lack of skill.

There is an added element of pride in helping maintain the ecosystem, protect crops and stop overpopulation in deer hunting.
Come on, that's not why you hunt, it's a possible justification you throw in when criticised.

And an oryx could kill me, quite easily, things are huge and vicious.

As a percentage chance, what were your odds of surviving as soon as you came into proximity with the oryx, and what were the oryx's? Maybe not that oryx because it's definitely dead, but if you were to come within a couple of hundred metres of an oryx.
Reply 267
Hopple
Says you wearing camouflage at night,

Daytime, night hunting is dull.
Only really done for culling
presumably with night vision,

You find me a Night Vision Bow...I will divorce my wife and marry you

hunting a deer. If you couldn't find one it'd either be bad luck or because you decided to fell a tree, not lack of skill.

You obviously have no idea what it's like to stalk Deer then, some days you can search from dawn till dusk and not find a trail or a deer, some days you can search fourteen hours, find a pack but not have a deer worth killing.

Other days you can find seven packs, and be spotted seven times.
Thus individual skill, in tracking and stealth plays a vital role.

Then again sometimes you do step into the forest or plain, stumble on a deer or pack in an hour, see a prime kill , and down it first try.

Come on, that's not why you hunt, it's a possible justification you throw in when criticised.

I never said it was the reason I hunt, I just said it's one more thing I take pride in.

As a percentage chance, what were your odds of surviving as soon as you came into proximity with the oryx, and what were the oryx's? Maybe not that oryx because it's definitely dead, but if you were to come within a couple of hundred metres of an oryx.

Id say I have a 60% chance of getting within shooting range with a Compound, I would say there is possible a 20-35% chance of me getting charged.

The odd's are in my favour certainly, I never said they weren't, just wanted to tell you an Oryx can be dangerous, when you said they can't be.

Didn't say they often were, just could be.

Reading man..reading.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Syrokal
Nonsense, I have stated numerous times that I hold the Animal in the highest respect.

You may well believe that you do, however I said you have no respect for life, you kill for fun. To be blunt, you take a dirty great gun, or even crossbow, and shoot the animal from some safe distance, whilst showing your obscene photo's to all, this makes you feel like a big man, a hero to your own perverse idea of FUN.
Reply 269
I would find it very difficult, if not impossible, to kill anything for fun.
(edited 11 years ago)
I just remembered the Monty Python sketch where they were hunting insects, now that was fun(ny).
Reply 271
Original post by Syrokal
Daytime, night hunting is dull.
Only really done for culling
From your photo it looked like night-time.

You find me a Night Vision Bow...I will divorce my wife and marry you
:rolleyes: Did you use night vision, or a torch?

You obviously have no idea what it's like to stalk Deer then, some days you can search from dawn till dusk and not find a trail or a deer, some days you can search fourteen hours, find a pack but not have a deer worth killing.

Other days you can find seven packs, and be spotted seven times.
Thus individual skill, in tracking and stealth plays a vital role.

Then again sometimes you do step into the forest or plain, stumble on a deer or pack in an hour, see a prime kill , and down it first try.
You've described luck here, not skill.

I never said it was the reason I hunt, I just said it's one more thing I take pride in.
I don't believe it, but I suppose it isn't relevant to this in that I don't object to killing to avoid overpopulation and the like.

Id say I have a 60% chance of getting within shooting range with a Compound, I would say there is possible a 20-35% chance of me getting charged.

The odd's are in my favour certainly, I never said they weren't, just wanted to tell you an Oryx can be dangerous, when you said they can't be.

Didn't say they often were, just could be.

Reading man..reading.

Oh, so you're just splitting hairs. The point is, the odds are so much in your favour it isn't actually an impressive achievement.

The OP has said he eats the animal and uses anything else he can from it (he mentioned using the bones, the skin etc) Yes he gets a buzz out of it, and he doesn't shoot it because he needs to survive, but this is the case for anyone eating meat these days. It's just we let someone else kill it for us.

I don't see that much of a distinction between the OP and meat eaters in the thread (myself included) Meat may be a natural thing for us to eat but I doubt early man ate as much meat as we do now. In that regard, is it really that bad to kill something yourself, enjoying the excitement that comes along with it, compared to buying meat from the supermarket? :smile: Provided the hunting is responsible, of course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Enavor
I would find it very difficult, if not impossible, to kill anything for fun.

See my above post mate. :smile:

You say you couldn't kill for fun, which is understandable, but if you eat meat that is just letting someone else kill for your enjoyment ( when eating it) Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I look at it.
Reply 274
Original post by Hopple
From your photo it looked like night-time.

As I said I will cull at night, I just don't prefer it.

:rolleyes: Did you use night vision, or a torch?

Nay

But even if I did, they would still have superior senses.

You've described luck here, not skill.

Then obviously you didn't read a thing I typed.
Luck plays a factor in everything in life, but trail hunting is not luck, getting into distance is not luck, being spotted is not a matter of luck

Oh, so you're just splitting hairs. The point is, the odds are so much in your favour it isn't actually an impressive achievement.

If that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

Shooting a hoop in basketball isn't an impressive acheivment, a lot of people enjoy doing it.
Instead of shooting hoops(Which I do enjoy doing actually) some people like to hunt.
Reply 275
Original post by nimrodstower
You may well believe that you do, however I said you have no respect for life, you kill for fun. To be blunt, you take a dirty great gun, or even crossbow,

Neither

and shoot the animal from some safe distance, whilst showing your obscene photo's to all, this makes you feel like a big man, a hero to your own perverse idea of FUN.

Don't confuse a respect for life, with a respect for the Animal.

And as I have mentioned to other users, I am no Alpha Male, nor are most hunters, there is no Big Man syndrome involved, hunting does not make you hard, or manly, anymore than table-tennis or chess does.
Nor is such a desire a reason for why I hunt.

It's personal enjoyment and upon occasion part of a religious obligation, nothing more, nothing less.
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
I understand what you are trying to say but when you refer to us as 'predators' you don't tend to find a lion on a horse chasing a gazelle or an eagle with a rifle hunting down a mouse. So therefore, it is not as natural as it may seem in basic concepts.

:rofl: this lightens the mood.
Original post by silverbolt

So tell me what traps would you prefer? foothold traps smash the foreleg of the animal (and can cause them to chew thier own leg off to escape)? wire snares which on larger animals garrote the foot (slowly) and on smaller animals which garrote the throat (slowly), Pit traps which just cause panic, or even better spike pit traps. Or snap traps where the animal is left dangling in mid air for maybe hours on end? Cage traps, where the animal will tear its skin and claws trying to escape? ALL methods of trapping cause stress and injury to animals

In a hunt with a rifle/bow the animal dies very quickly, if the shot doesnt kill then the vast majority of hunters will move in and put them out of the creature misery. Believe it or not, most hunters dont do it to torture the animal, they do it to kill. As cleanly as possible.

I believe the only place you will see a pit trap in the UK is at the set of an action film. In answer to your question, I greatly prefer the cage trap which isn't as half as bad as you make it sound. If it was for the purpose of a cull then this would be the best method to opt for. As a cull is government licensed they would have to monitor/ observe the cages to make sure the animals were put down as quickly as possible otherwise there would be a scandal with activists. However, since numbers of foxes are not a threat as of yet there is no need for trapping or shooting etc. You are simply using this as an excuse to tangle yourself out of the issue that hunting is there simply for the pleasure of a minority of humans and I am grateful that it has been banned.
Original post by Syrokal
Neither

Don't confuse a respect for life, with a respect for the Animal.

And as I have mentioned to other users, I am no Alpha Male, nor are most hunters, there is no Big Man syndrome involved, hunting does not make you hard, or manly, anymore than table-tennis or chess does.
Nor is such a desire a reason for why I hunt.

It's personal enjoyment and upon occasion part of a religious obligation, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh aren't I silly, of course I should have realised, you use a Butterfly net. What religion has hunting as an obligation?
Reply 279
First of all, this is my opinion, so please don't get angry about it :smile:

I personally think hunting is immoral and wrong because if you took the concept of hunting, and replaced animals with people, you'd be put in jail pretty quickly! I think of animals as equal to people, and sometimes I value them even more; So many species of wildlife have become extinct because of hunting, and I respect that before, people hunted animals for food, because we didn't discover farming until we were quite advanced as a species, but when people hunt for pleasure, I think it's awful. None of these poor animals have ever done anything wrong to us, and then we go and shoot them, and most of the time, the bullets miss and leave the animal in horrific pain. Just imagine if that ever happened to you, you are walking along minding your own business, maybe to find food for your family and then BANG! you're left in the open, with a stinging gun wound bleeding out, uncertain if you're going to live or die, if you'll ever see your family again. It sounds like something from a nightmare, doesn't it. I'm not a vegetarian but I also believe (On an unrelated topic) that faming animals for meat, or testing medicine and cosmetics on them against their will is even worse, even on a small scale. I know we have evolved the way we have to chase prey and chew meat, but we have also evolved empathy, one of the most basic and crucial skills that is found in every animal, including us, and if you think that killing another living creature, snuffing out their light of life simply because you can, shows you have no empathy at all, and THAT is what separates us, monsters that kill because we can and have savaged the land we call home, from animals, gentle creatures that only ever kill to keep their families alive and to survive. To survive us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending