Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've never attempted to write a poem before but I was feeling a little creative a couple of days ago and wrote this one. It's really silly and I'm aware it's not particularly great but I'd still like some opinions on how to improve it cause I really enjoyed writing. Thanks!

To My Sun

My sun, you rise
    And lightly touch my skin
    Hugging me with your warmth.
    Your bright presence (in heart and mind)
    Opens my eyes.
    Now I see what was already there, and
    My being grows into verdant opulence.
    Wide meadows lay before me
    And, though my course remains unclear,
    I no longer fear the way because,
    My sun,
    I know you will be there.
    So forgive me if I forget to say:
    You illuminate my soul,
    Or when, at times, a cloud comes by
    I cannot feel you there.
    But when it’s gone, my sun, I look
    And find that you’ve endured -
    Your radiance is still intact
    So in your light I dance.

I like that. For me it harks back to ancient sun-worship and ritual, when people were still awed by the sublime and when the environment and cosmos were much more than simply objects of scientific comprehension.

Just me, but I'd have put a few more commas in parts for effect so as not to overdo the enjambment (end of 1st and 2nd line, for instance)

Love the last line. Great effort for a first attempt! Glad to hear you enjoyed writing it. Keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    Very nice solar poem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthred50)
    I like that. For me it harks back to ancient sun-worship and ritual, when people were still awed by the sublime and when the environment and cosmos were much more than simply objects of scientific comprehension.

Just me, but I'd have put a few more commas in parts for effect so as not to overdo the enjambment (end of 1st and 2nd line, for instance)

Love the last line. Great effort for a first attempt! Glad to hear you enjoyed writing it. Keep it up!
    Thanks a lot for your comments!

I'm glad it made you think of that. I was actually writing it as a love poem as well so I'm happy it translates into something else as well.

ReputationRep:
    It's a beautiful poerm, espeically the last couple of lines! Good work! Glad to hear you enjoyed writing and hope you keep it up

ReputationRep:
    I love this. It is simply wonderful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's awesome! Really sounds like it has depth and meaning, very artistic xo
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nice poem to begin with. I like the ode of the sun, as it sounds as if you adore the sun. I like the text passage in which you wrote that you have 'no longer fear', as you know the sun 'will be there'. Thats sounds that the sun is your companion on your way which keep the evil away. To increase the expression, I would recommend you to use appropriate metaphors: sun rays for good and shadows for bad. How about that: you send your rays to earth to keep the shadows behind me away? just plain a suggestion.

I wonder what inspired you to write the poem. Your environment where the sun is shining all the time?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 8, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.