The Student Room Group

No friends after uni

I only have 2 months left of Uni, I defo know I won't be keeping in touch with any "friends" as I feel like they're not good friends. No one really supports each other, everyone's doing their own thing.

I do feel sad because I haven't made any good friends during the 3 years but is this just life after Uni? I'm extremely lucky to have the support from family as we're super close.

What do u guys think?
I was personally lucky in that I managed to establish a couple of fairly decent friendship groups at uni through societies and stuff. It's by no means the end of the world though. What are you planning on doing after uni? Most pathways allow ample room for establishment of new friendships, even if you do what I did and get a minimum wage job. There's always time.
Reply 2
Original post by ijen01
I only have 2 months left of Uni, I defo know I won't be keeping in touch with any "friends" as I feel like they're not good friends. No one really supports each other, everyone's doing their own thing.

I do feel sad because I haven't made any good friends during the 3 years but is this just life after Uni? I'm extremely lucky to have the support from family as we're super close.

What do u guys think?

I'm in EXACTLY the same position! If you want to chat about it, feel free to message me, it's weird that someone else os feeling like this too!
(edited 11 years ago)
For some people, they feel the same. Even those who made friends at uni find themselves drifting apart with time after graduation. As you move around the country and progress with your career, you will meet new people and you will make friends who are closer to you and suit you.
Reply 4
I think it depends on whether or not you feel you need friends. You shouldn't feel pressured to keep friends around if you get most of your social satisfaction elsewhere (family or w/e)
Reply 5
what uni do you go too?
I think it depends on the type of course that you do as well. If there's a lot of group work/placements you are more likely to develop stronger bonds with others.
Original post by jj1994
what uni do you go too?

not really relevant

I went to a "social" uni and the group I got in with got on well but then they all splintered off in groups (I didn't graduate) but now I don't speak to any of them
Reply 8
If you need a quick way to make new friends try doing what I did: join a sports team such as a football team. Even though I never used to be interested in football, I always found that participating in things I never used to be interested not got me new friends the most.

And I'm more likely to start enjoying what I never enjoyed before if I know I'm going to be friends with people.

Quick Reply

Latest