Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test a few weeks back and am very confident in my driving and if you asked me to drive to London on my own right this second, I would say yes and would only be worried about one thing...... my moving off. Not motorways, roundabouts, crossroads and all of the common things that a. Lot of motorists dislike, just moving off. Why? Because none of my three instructors has bothered to teach me how to use the gas when moving off and consequently I've always moved off at a snails pace using just the clutch.

To move off I've been just raising the clutch using no gas and eventually the car begins to crawl off. It's slow and kind of embarrassing and has actually left me waiting at junctions when I could have gone because I was worried that moving off that slowly would mean I might hit any oncoming traffic. I've asked my instructors about it and they either dismissed me or said 'just add gas' and I tried that a few times (I heard it 3 lessons before my test) but couldn't move off like I see other drivers do. I look around and I see cars just instantly shooting off from complete stops as if they hadnt even stopped and I just want to know how to do that in a diesel car.

So yeah, the exact method to do this, using the clutch, gas etc would be great to know and would help mould me into a driver who doesn't actually look like a complete amateur.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember some cars are automatic so they will just shoot off as there's not delay with the clutch etc.

What I was taught to do is to set the gas at 2000 then slowly release the clutch, this will let you set off faster as the engine is ready for the clutch, whereas normally you just let the clutch out on an idle engine.

Just give it a go, go into a quiet car park, put the handbrake on, into 1st, set the revs at 2000ish, then as you slowly release the clutch press the gas a bit more, you should get going pretty quick.

ReputationRep:
    ewwww the 2000 revs method is hideous! if I sat at 2000 revs in my car, id kill it!

what you want to do, is lift up your foot until you feel the bite, then add gas. while adding gas, keep lifting your foot off the clutch at the same pace...so it should be one simple movement.

practice makes perfect! it took me about 5 lessons to get it spot on! (Bearing in mind i passed in 12!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    boot it

ReputationRep:
    Bring your left foot up to the bite on the clutch. then it's like a seesaw. As you slowly take your left foot up off the clutch (gradually - don't suddenly let go of the clutch!), press the accelerator gradually with your other foot

Get someone experienced to help you practice in an empty car park or something - it only comes with practice!

ReputationRep:
    This was the first thing I was taught and I'm sure many others were, before even being told it was required of me to wear the seatbelt

Never heard the '2000 revs' method..

ReputationRep:
    Without sounding disrespectful, what your instructor said: ''just add gas' is quite simply what is required. Ideally, when you lift the clutch and it starts to bite, add a bit of gas and once your clutch is fully released hit on the gas/accelerator pedal to move off at your desired speed.

ReputationRep:
    In my car I used to use the 2k method, you don't hold it there for ages however just as it settles as 2k bring the clutch up just above the biting point and your off. The extra revs over tickover means you don't stall and you pull away faster and then as soon as you are moving you just bring the clutch up completely and then then just use the throttle. As you do it more you just get used to it and now I don't really need to bother, its just a bit of throttle find just bellow the biting point, handbrake down and simultaneously bring the clutch up a tiny bit and your off

Saying this however in my car I can afford to be quite aggressive because its only a 1.25engine and thus no matter how much gas I give when pulling away it still isn't quick.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on the size of the engine in the car you're driving and also on the type of fuel it runs on.
    2000rpm is probably about right for something with a tiny asthmatic engine.
    Anything a bit bigger and you won't need quite that much. Or, on the flip side, take something like my large capacity 3.5 litre V8 I probably only add another 250rpm over idle to set off at a normal sedate pace. If I were to set off @ 2000rpm I'd chirp the rear wheels.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks guys i'll try what you've recommended the next time that i'm in a car, whenever that is.

ReputationRep:
    As Jespy said really... That way you are going with feeling rather than watching the revs counter (which my car doesn't even have!!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    This is a terrible technique to pick up as a constant habit, but, handbrake on, then slowly rise up the clutch and you'll feel the back end of the car drop, as this happens push your clutch slightly below that point. When you're about to go, do the back end drop, handbrake off and slowly press on the accelerator.

If you get scared floor the accelerator and take foot off clutch.

ReputationRep:
    To put it in the simplest way possible; apply some gas before bringing the clutch up, it'll get you moving off faster. The more gas you apply, the quicker you'll move off. It's good practice to increase the amount of gas as you bring the clutch up, in a see-saw motion like someone else mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    When learning I never really set the gas, I'm different I guess. To move off fast or "shoot off" like you said, all I'd do is bring the clutch up to bite, and slam my foot hard on the gas. During my first driving lessons I was like you cause I could only move off at a snail's pace using only the clutch, meaning that the car ahead would pull away and cars behind would tailgate, but before long I started using the gas to pull away faster. No one told me to use gas, it was just common sense.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe some instructors are teaching you that - with good clutch control you don't need any more than 1250 - maybe 1500 rpm. Most cars you can set off at tickover revs if you can balance the clutch and accelerator properly.

This works in my Mum's 1.2 Corsa, and my 328i.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor always taught me to find the bite then set some gas and release the handbrake. This always got me off at the same speed as drivers next to me at junctions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.