The Student Room Group

Music GCSE plagiarism?

Hey guys,
I was just thinking about how hard it must be to prevent music plagiarism for GCSE compositions. Is there a programme that detects whether a piece of music has similarities to previously heard pieces of music, or is it simply based upon the teachers knowledge of what level you are at, and whether you are abviously exceeding that level. Like I said, I was just curious as to how the pieces are moderated to keep the level of plagiarism to an absolute minimal (as it should be :biggrin:)
Many Thanks,
Zaxxo1
How big would the database for that music comparison software have to be, who would manage it and how many staff would be needed to keep it up to date? How much would that cost to stop a few GCSE music 'cheats'.

If you know enough about music to copy someone else's work then it simply means you are being lazy.

GCSE is not looking for the next Philip Glass or David Bowie.

Your music teacher will have pretty good idea of your capabilities and if suddenly your musical writing ability takes an outstanding leap, a few alarm bells will start wringing.
Reply 2
Original post by zaxxo1
Hey guys,
I was just thinking about how hard it must be to prevent music plagiarism for GCSE compositions. Is there a programme that detects whether a piece of music has similarities to previously heard pieces of music, or is it simply based upon the teachers knowledge of what level you are at, and whether you are abviously exceeding that level. Like I said, I was just curious as to how the pieces are moderated to keep the level of plagiarism to an absolute minimal (as it should be :biggrin:)
Many Thanks,
Zaxxo1

In musical composition 'plagiarism' to some extent is the norm. Nearly all music takes ideas from other composers with exceptions starting in the 20th century really with composers like Schoenburg. For example, parts of Handel's Dixit Dominus are almost identical to parts of Scarlatti's work of the same name.

EDIT: Although this is idea pinching rather than note pinching :P
Reply 3
Original post by natninja
In musical composition 'plagiarism' to some extent is the norm. Nearly all music takes ideas from other composers with exceptions starting in the 20th century really with composers like Schoenburg. For example, parts of Handel's Dixit Dominus are almost identical to parts of Scarlatti's work of the same name.

EDIT: Although this is idea pinching rather than note pinching :P

Definetly true, in fact I seem to remember a site that showed different music pieces that were remarkably similar. Just found it again, http://soundsjustlike.com/ Its very nice actually.

[QUOTE][How big would the database for that music comparison software have to be, who would manage it and how many staff would be needed to keep it up to date? How much would that cost to stop a few GCSE music 'cheats'.

If you know enough about music to copy someone else's work then it simply means you are being lazy.

GCSE is not looking for the next Philip Glass or David Bowie.

Your music teacher will have pretty good idea of your capabilities and if suddenly your musical writing ability takes an outstanding leap, a few alarm bells will start wringing./QUOTE]
I guess so, so it basically depends on the teacher being observant enough I guess.
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Aniqa5107
So, how do examiners check for plagarism

this is 9 years old

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending