Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pritnep)
    It's quite true Neighbours is has been considerably on the decline in ratings in the past few years and I think it's more the quality of storylines and characters. baby emmy is right though if Neighbours again tries bring itself back to it 'golden age' they better hope it brings the fans back. Many a debate has been held with which Aus soap is better then the other but if you are looking at Aus ratings week in week out then Home and Away is winning the battle.

Maybe you are right a change of timeslot and more advertising would help but with a show look Neighbours being on screens for as long as it has and everyone knows it's timeslot I think it is more a fact of keeping regular viewers and gaining old ones back then trying to get new viewers which is much harder.
    Yes this is true, however, I think giving older viewers another reason to watch the show may be harder than attracting new fans. Neighbours seems to go through generations - we had the early era pre-Kennedy, then the mid-Nineties era, with the teenage group, Billy-Anne-Lance-Amy et al, and then we had the Scully generation and now we are into a new generation with Pepper, Frazer, Ned et al - and, the latter in particular, is a good example of a character who just hasn't taken off. It's hard for some fans to turn back on, when comparing it to the generation of the show they watched.

The return of Paul in 2005 was inspired - this opened up so many opportunities, but it wasn't milked for all it was worth. Neighbours don't seem able to bring back old cast members as Home and Away do - something which keeps older voewers interested, and the way they seamlessly slot back into the show, allows new viewers to easily take to them. Perhaps the success of many of the cast members is the show's downfall.

Neighbours still has a good future IF its marketing and scheduling is improved - the writing and story-telling still does it for the viewers that are watching - we just need to get more people to realise what they're missing out on...

ReputationRep:
    That teenage group was the best ever, one episode i remember for some reason, was when they were all waiting in the road for the postman to come with their results! It was just really nice and simple, but was touching... you don't seem to get many nice scenes like that where you can connect with the character imo, it's all about drama or random comedy scenes (which i'll admit, some are amusing!) which you can really relate to so feel for the character!

RE your spoilers!:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh that's good, can't be botherd with them splitting up again, lol! Don't they get married in the London eps on the Thames or something? Don't know where i heard that!!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby_emmy)
    That teenage group was the best ever, one episode i remember for some reason, was when they were all waiting in the road for the postman to come with their results! It was just really nice and simple, but was touching... you don't seem to get many nice scenes like that where you can connect with the character imo, it's all about drama or random comedy scenes (which i'll admit, some are amusing!) which you can really relate to so feel for the character!

RE your spoilers!:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh that's good, can't be botherd with them splitting up again, lol! Don't they get married in the London eps on the Thames or something? Don't know where i heard that!!

-x-
    Yeah I agree - character-driven episodes like that are far better, as opposed to some of the ridiculous plot-driven stories we have seen recently.

And as for K&S:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not sure if they actually get married in the London episodes, but then again I wouldn't rule it out either. The London Eye is another location I think they filmed at - and that would make for a very good proposal scene at least...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what happens to Katya?

Is she going into prison? When?

Does Guy and Rachel get it on?

Is Ned going to stick by Katya?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stary.eyes)

Thanks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Katya leaves to become a nurse in the city somewhere. And no to the rest of the questions...

ReputationRep:
    Guy's being really creepy with Rachel! It's kinda scary I think it could make for a good storyline with him ingratiating himself in Katya's family if it weren't for the fact that Rachel's like 14 and he's like late 20s :O

ReputationRep:

RE your spoilers!:
    Spoiler:
    Show

-x-

Seriously you are wrong the best episodes ever were

Making Mansions - who remembers cindys TV show with Rocco financing it.

and

The Plane Crash where Harolds whole family die! - it was cut so badly so they were able to afford to put it on the show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stary.eyes)

Thanks
    If you are told then there will be no point watching it would there?

I personally hope that Katya turns into a fox! (although she almost looks like one already) and wonders off in the middle of the night

ReputationRep:
    I miss Joe Scully

-x-

ReputationRep:
    I miss Joe Scully

-x-
    Oh yeah! Me too...where did he go?

ReputationRep:
    In real life... He got asked to leave when he turned up on set, not too sure why, is an article somewhere!!

In the show... His dad had an accident (or brother) so he went off to go help him, then Lynn went and visited and then came back saying they were divorcing!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrColin)
    Seriously you are wrong the best episodes ever were

Making Mansions - who remembers cindys TV show with Rocco financing it.

and

The Plane Crash where Harolds whole family die! - it was cut so badly so they were able to afford to put it on the show
    Ah yes, the plane 'crash' was certainly one for the memories! I'm almost positive that it was shot using some babies' paddling pools, a toy plane and some narcotics.

ReputationRep:
    In real life... He got asked to leave when he turned up on set, not too sure why, is an article somewhere!!
    Oh yeah, i remember talking about that ages ago. If i rememeber correctly, i think it was drug related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)
    Ah yes, the plane 'crash' was certainly one for the memories! I'm almost positive that it was shot using some babies' paddling pools, a toy plane and some narcotics.

hahahahah no that would actually have been more convincing i just couldn't stop laughing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i thought it was good... by neighbours standards!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no - look at the spoilers for tomorrows episode in Oz!

ReputationRep:
    eh? Tomorrow being Friday or Monday next week?

I haven't watched Neighbours for a few weeks now so can you enlighten me?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    is this the kerry spoiler?

ReputationRep:
    when are the london episodes appearing in neighbours?

ReputationRep:
    April is Aus, so like end of the year for us!

-x-

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.