Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I was bullied at work over the past few years, and finally decided to get outta there. However, there has been a lot of damage done to my confidence and self-esteem, and obviously I also now suffer from serious depression.

I still live a home with parents, but I obviously do not tell them I was bullied, nor do they [want to] know that I am depressed etc.

I decided to have a short break abroad for a few weeks to try to make me happier, and I have just returned home. After being home for 2 days, my mum makes some comment about "when you gonna get another job then?" and moans that I must go back to my previous job as "at least it's money". :rolleyes:

I want to spend many months off work, living on my savings, to try to recoup and clear my head. If I go back to any job at the moment I will only get treated the same as I was before.

However, it seems my mum is trying to scupper my plans.

What is wrong with her?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they don't want you to be bullied, they just want you to develop independence- money helps with that of course, and self reliance is a good attribute to cultivate. I suppose you need something to live on! Maybe use the 'pushiness'- ask their advice, HOW do thy think you can get a job? If the old job seems a realistic prospect, maybe see if you can address the bullying, so you can work in a harrassment free way.

ReputationRep:
    How does wanting you to work = getting bullied? Your mother doesn't know the full story. Sorry to hear about damage to self-esteem, I am sure you were just unlucky to meet unpleasant people. If you are bullied again report the culprit to the relevant department, or simply tell them to get stuffed. Don't let them win and ruin future employability.

I'd suggest looking at a different company and overcoming your fear. Perhaps see your GP to discuss these matters. Best of luck, remember that bullies are cowards.

ReputationRep:
    If your mum treats you like that she doesn't deserve any affection from you, just ignore her. She'll get the message eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Awww, she's your mum who made you and loves you, of course she 'deserves' affection. She just wants you to be an adult and make your own way in the world I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard the expression "its easier to find a job when you have one already"?

Bumming around on your savings is pretty stupid really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.