Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nurses/midwives can you (or do you expect to) manage on just a SAAS bursary? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm English and going to Scotland to do a Nursing degree. £6,578 is a lot of money to be given as a grant, which I completely appreciate, although looking into rent prices and travel costs (and the huge placement areas), I'm not sure it's going to be enough. As far as I'm aware there are no additional loans to take out. It's something I'm trying to discuss with my parents but we have no information to use :/

Scottish Nursing/Midwifery students, do you expect to (or already) manage on £6,578?

If not, what are the possible sources of additional money?

If your parents/family contribute, approximately how much do they give you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey so you get roughly £548 a month and you dont get any other funding. Depends where you are going as some places are more expensive than others and it also depends on whether you are going to stay in halls.. I couldnt survive off of it without a job as I have my rent, bills, car, petrol etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am from northern ireland and going to scotland for nursing too. I am trying to find out about money too.
    Apparently we can get a bursary and a maintenance grant or loan or something. I have no idea, I don't know how I'm going to survive..

ReputationRep:
    Personally no, I couldn't live off of that. My parents aren't able to help me so I'll be looking to go either onto the nursing bank or get a relief job as a support worker somewhere so that I can pick and choose when I'm able to work and not have to work set hours every week.

ReputationRep:
    You could just work like a dog for the summer, thats what I am doing (Tesco @ £1100p/m, Hiring now). Save £1500 - £2000, live with your parent rents free, thats an additional £50 a week for the entire year.

If you drive, either get rid of it or pay off 12 months tax and insurance now, be done with it, avoid bill phones and any other subscriptions/contracts you might be tempted by.

Go to your bank and get a student overdraft, in fact I now have 2 bank overdrafts ready if I need them, thats £2500 interest free for the next 5 years.

Apply for hardship if you are eligible and even disabled allowances, you'd be surprised what's considered a disability these days. I has epilepsy as a kid, I don't apply for disability allowance, but if times were very tight, I would and can.

Live in halls as long as you can, I just finished my first degree, living in private accommodation for 2 years, halls for 1. Halls are annoying at times, but all bills are covered. Its a life saver, plus parking, security, on-site services and food.

By the way, I am starting Nursing at Napier Edinburgh this September, where you guys going?!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I dunno if any of yous can help me but do yous happen to know the address we send our acceptant letters too? Silly me lost my letter so I have no idea where to send it too

ReputationRep:
    I think it may be possible to just about survive on it if worst came to worst, but ideally you'll need a bit more. I've worked out that another £2,000ish a year would allow for a fairly reasonable standard of living (of course it depends on where you're studying and how much your accommodation is)

It sounds like quite a few student nurses do bank shifts at hospitals and care homes so that might be a possibility (although I think you need a bit of experience before they'll sign you up, but I presume you'll get there soon enough ) or have jobs in the uni with SU etc. Part of the reason the bursary is so (relatively) generous is because the shift work on placement means that it can be hard to find a job with enough flexibility to accommodate the placements.

We aren't entitled to any other student finance (except DSA and dependent's allowance etc) which is a bit of a pain, but considering I have friends who have nothing left over from their loans and grants after paying accommodation, it's not too bad

I think it'll be a challenge, but people manage it every year, and if nothing else, it'll give us all a good lesson in budgeting!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ashleighweston)
    Hey I dunno if any of yous can help me but do yous happen to know the address we send our acceptant letters too? Silly me lost my letter so I have no idea where to send it too
    The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
    Gyleview House
    3 Redheughs Rigg
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9HH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Gyleview House
    3 Redheughs Rigg
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9HH
    I scanned it and emailed it to them
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Gyleview House
    3 Redheughs Rigg
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9HH
    thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.