Continuing in the same vain as the other threads, let's have another one!
So, which would you take:
1. Receive an untaxed salary of exactly £1,500,000 every year for 20 years (your first £1.5m being paid immediately on April 1st 2013 and every April 1st thereafter as long as you adhere to the contract). What are you being paid for? You simply have to come into a small Central London office every single working day from 9am to 3pm and press a red button at a rate of 10 times an hour.
- The catch is that every single time the button is pressed, harm or injustice *may* be caused.
- There is also a *possibility* that the deaths of 18 children on a far-off continent *may* be caused, maybe as a result of environmental pollutants; but it's not certain. Even if such deaths occur as a result of your actions; you will not be held liable/responsible at all and you will still be paid.
- Once you accept the first £1.5m instalment, you will be strictly bound by a contract that states that you must come into work every single working day [excluding holidays] for 20 years unless you die. After 20 years has elapsed you may choose to leave or not.
- If you breach the contract before the contractual period has elapsed, you and your loved ones will be in imminent danger. As long as you perform your simple duties of employment, everyone will be safe (excluding the possibility of the above harm that *may* be caused to the children.)
- Your only duties are to press that button. You are free to do anything you want or go anywhere you want after working hours.
- As long as you perform your duties, you will only be paid a lump sum of £1.5m yearly.
2. Receive exactly £90,500,000 after exactly 50 years from now.
- The only catch is that you will be confined within the M25 ring for the entire 50 years. After the 50 years has elapsed and you have received your £90.5m, you are free to go where you wish.
- You can do anything you want, work anywhere you want and go anywhere you want, but it must be within the M25 ring.
- Once you accept the contract, you must not leave the M25 ring. If you do, the contract will be immediately terminated (and you are now free to go anywhere) and you will not receive the £90.5m after 50 years.
- You will only be paid a lump sum of £90.5m after 50 years - no early or part payments.
You cannot accept both offers - it must be either one or the other.
Looking forward to your responses!
Turn on thread page Beta
Guys and Girls - What Would You Rather Take? watch
- Thread Starter
Last edited by HumanSupremacist; 25-03-2013 at 14:45.
- 25-03-2013 14:38
- Thread Starter
- 25-03-2013 20:36
- 25-03-2013 20:39
Obviously the second one, the *may* clauses are too much for my conscience
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
- 25-03-2013 21:27
Most people will pick the second option saying on moral conscience.
However when you dive deeper into our minds you will realise how selfish we really are, and along as we are friends and family do not find out about us maybe causing harm to people, we will take option number one.
We are more worried what people may think of us if we do something then what we actually do.
- 25-03-2013 21:45
definitely not the first one anyway...the 2nd one doesn't look great either, i'll be old by then. I don't really want to choose either.