Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

hate my initial name sooooo much Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay so my first name is oliver and I HATE it and always have!

I like my middle name (gareth)

I want people to start calling me gareth but I dont know how to tell my parents I hate my first name without upsetting them?

It's so bad I actually avoid introducing myself ....

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'm pretty sure you've already made a thread like this before... experiencing some deja vu over here...

Secondly, you're being a bit dramatic. It's a fairly common name. To avoid introducing yourself is a bit much. Anyway, if it was me I would rather be called Oliver than Gareth. I think it's a better name tbh. So calm the f*** down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel2010)
    Firstly, I'm pretty sure you've already made a thread like this before... experiencing some deja vu over here...

Secondly, you're being a bit dramatic. It's a fairly common name. To avoid introducing yourself is a bit much. Anyway, if it was me I would rather be called Oliver than Gareth. I think it's a better name tbh. So calm the f*** down.
    When Oliver is combined with my second name it just sounds awful.

I am obviously not going to say my second name on this though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    When Oliver is combined with my second name it just sounds awful.

I am obviously not going to say my second name on this though
    Oliver Twist?

But on a more serious note, start introducing yourself by your middle name so people will call you by that rather than your first name. One of my friends dislikes her first name so everybody knows her by her middle name, although on exam papers and official documents she puts her full name. That way she is called by the name she prefers and only uses her real first name for exams etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calla_lily)
    Oliver Twist?
    haha, no! Sounds worse!

It hasn't got a good "ring" to it

Gareth [last name]

sounds better, a lot better

ReputationRep:
    I always liked "ollie" as a name. Do you hate it in general, or would shortening it help?
    & rather than telling your parents you hate your name, you could just say that you like your middle name more? That doesn't automatically mean you dislike it, just that you prefer the other one.

ReputationRep:
    Just call yourself Oli? It's a pretty common name and I think it's ok

ReputationRep:
    Yeah why not go for "Ollie" - that sounds better than Oliver and Gareth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McUsername)
    I always liked "ollie" as a name. Do you hate it in general, or would shortening it help?
    & rather than telling your parents you hate your name, you could just say that you like your middle name more? That doesn't automatically mean you dislike it, just that you prefer the other one.
    I actually get ollie the most

It's okay but it doesnt really suite me..

I am a 6ft4 tall man haha
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just do it, it's your life and they'll be fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    okay so my first name is oliver and I HATE it and always have!

I like my middle name (gareth)

I want people to start calling me gareth but I dont know how to tell my parents I hate my first name without upsetting them?

It's so bad I actually avoid introducing myself ....
    My daughter has just gone to uni - and has changed her name - I am perfectly fine with that. My father also used his middle name as did my father in law. You won't upset your parents - you have to live with the name - not them. And for the record I prefer Gareth - sound really Welsh rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    My daughter has just gone to uni - and has changed her name - I am perfectly fine with that. My father also used his middle name as did my father in law. You won't upset your parents - you have to live with the name - not them. And for the record I prefer Gareth - sound really Welsh rugby.
    my father is called gareth hence why it is my middle name

yea i think gareth suits me more...

ReputationRep:
    It's only a name. How seriously you're taken is dependent on your actions.

If your name was Gareth, people would call you Gary. Gary, Oli. Meh, same thing.

ReputationRep:
    its really not that bad, i thought it was going to be something along the lines of "Gaylord" from the title

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I really like the name Oliver! But it's your name and your right to decide what people should call you.
    I don't think your parents would take any offence, just sit them when you all have the time and just let them know that you prefer your middle name. Try not to make too much of a big deal of this though.
    Obviously it make take a while for them and others to call you Gareth because by habit they will be used to calling you Oliver, but I'm sure everyone will be open to the change.

ReputationRep:
    my father is called gareth hence why it is my middle name

yea i think gareth suits me more...
    If your dads name is Gareth, he'd probably be flattered not hurt

ReputationRep:
    I think MCLOVIN in Superbad is cooler.

ReputationRep:
    i prefer oliver to gareth x)

i have a name problem too, but it's more complicated than that and its soo annoying -_- not even cos i dont like the name IT ISNT MY NAME ahhh

ReputationRep:
    my middle name is being khadijah

ReputationRep:
    How often do you get called your full name anyway? My name doesn't have a 'ring' to it but I never really hear both put together.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.