Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Throughout our lives until a point we are obliged to get education and go through examination on our knowledge. Do you think the regulations are right on measuring knowledge? What do you think of school and exams in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Poor determination of knowledge as the majority are a simple 'memory game'... I know many people who have got lucky by revising a few sections of the course and got top grades, whilst much brighter students have failed to get the grades they wish but are far more knowledgeable on the subject :/

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a problem of age. At age 16, what can you prove to have done in life? Some play sport and do music, but it's rare to get to a nationally recognised or world-class standard at that age. Doing exams are a quick method of assessing your ability because you'll probably have no other experience or talents to show.

Of course, exams aren't right for everyone. I personally prefer coursework to exams, but I can do both quite well. For others, they'd rather there were no assessments at all.

Similarly, I know some people who did extremely well in exams purely by memorising answers and not having a clue about the underlying context. Exams can't really remove that factor.

On the whole, I think the system of exams is fine, but there need to be options for those to re-sit (as some are late to develop these skills) or to do other things in life. I do also think that school is too brief on some subjects - Many would benefit from going further into the topic. Sometimes you just skim over things or miss the major topics which you may need for university.

My belief is that college could be reformed to allow greater support for GCSE students as well as those for A-levels. For instance, those doing lower tier GCSEs could top-up those skills with higher-tier at college. I also think that citizens should be entitled to two or three "college credits" which they could use to get onto college courses at any time in their lives - Some students leave to start families or get jobs but might not be able to afford to go back to college to improve their standards for higher education or more academic careers. Hell, you can learn some good practical skills at college too.

ReputationRep:
    Examinations and education are closely related but whats happening is there is a fear due to these exams. And this fear is resulting in the death of a STUDENT. If exams results in death of a youth then its pattern should be changed.

ReputationRep:
    Assessment in education, from primary to secondary, FE to HE, is fundamentally flawed not necessarily in its nature, but by its design.

We seem to focus on assessment as a way of measuring academic ability, and some even see it as a measure of academic potential. Neither of these are to be discounted at all, but because its the sole focus of exams and coursework, everything is seen as summative whether that be short-term e.g. end of a module or long-term e.g. end of a course.

That's designing assessment of learning, whereas the true benefit of assessment is directly back to the student in terms of improving their own academic performance - assessment for learning. Our courses shouldn't be designed around a curriculum with assessment as a way of measuring knowledge; assessment should be seen as a core activity in the learning process which facilitates reflection, review, and forward-thinking for the student. You design learning outcomes and everything relates back to that.

Perhaps then we'll move away from this stop-start, discrete, block nature in our system and move to a more continuous developmental learning process facilitated by holistic assessment leading to top quality feedback and more proactive engagement in teaching and learning activities by both partners.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.