Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    New website, just launched. It seems to be that they are just testing it in Newcastle at the moment. But it looks pretty good to me!

I think the theory is that if enough students rate their lecturers then we will be able to choose our lecturers purely on their teaching ability. Should help prospective students as well.

That's my opinion anyway, thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit heartless to put it in the public domain.

ReputationRep:
    From the website:

Surely this could just turn into a public platform to abuse lecturers?

It could… But we are relying on that familiar and commendable British sense of fair play! We also believe this is the only way to give students a real say and we hope it will result in better lecturers for everyone.
    Suuuuuuure. It'll degenerate into abuse pretty quickly for some lecturers I suspect. Not only those who are perhaps not suited to the career but quite a lot who maybe don't have the same likeability as others.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so sure, I have yet to find a negative comment (granted it's only been up for two days apparently).

With average student debt being £50,000+ now I'd like to get the best lecturers at every opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    From the website:

Suuuuuuure. It'll degenerate into abuse pretty quickly for some lecturers I suspect. Not only those who are perhaps not suited to the career but quite a lot who maybe don't have the same likeability as others.

Well it's out there now! I hope you're wrong, I've only rated my favourite lecturers so far. Trying to get the right (polite) wording for the bad ones!

IN the end though people should not be teaching students if they are not good at it, no matter how good their research is.

ReputationRep:
    This looks cool and a good idea, I think it needs current students to go and do some rating, but hopefully with new students paying ridiculous fees this might really help some people out!

ReputationRep:
    A UK version of "RateMyProfessor"?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I can see how it would be useful in a way, but hopefully it won't discourage students to take certain modules just because the lecturer has a few bad ratings - they should make their decision based upon their personal strengths and interests. I would also worry about lecturers being poorly rated just because of a single bad lecture or for not being very like-able, or perhaps because the subject is a bit boring. It does seem a bit harsh as well on the lecturers for any criticism - I guess many students wouldn't exactly want to say to the lecturer's face how bad their lectures are, but internal questionnaires should allow students to give suggestions for improvement on the lectures which would be a better way of actually helping the lecturer improve. Mass criticism online would not be particularly motivating to the lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gews)
    A UK version of "RateMyProfessor"?
    Pretty much Gews, although with more rating options I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    From the website:

Yeah, there was ratemyteacher when I was in high school and it was totally full of abuse!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshJackson)
    New website, just launched. It seems to be that they are just testing it in Newcastle at the moment. But it looks pretty good to me!

I think the theory is that if enough students rate their lecturers then we will be able to choose our lecturers purely on their teaching ability. Should help prospective students as well.

That's my opinion anyway, thoughts?
    OP are you the owner/admin of the site purely out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    OP are you the owner/admin of the site purely out of interest?
    Nope, but I met the guys behind it on Friday. Just made a lot of sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Just commenting so the thread goes to the top!

ReputationRep:
    So what? If a lecturer can't teach we should be able to say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    So what? If a lecturer can't teach we should be able to say so.

Agree completely. We can then make sure we get the best available and avoid the shocking ones.

That way we all get better degrees and make more money! (to pay back those lovely loans)

ReputationRep:
    my teachers are awesome

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.