Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey everyone,

The title is pretty self-explanatory - I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend for 4 years, almost 5. I'm 26 and she's 25. I wanted to get a few people's thoughts on some things I've been considering/pondering:

(a) I haven't told my parents and I'm not really thinking of asking/telling her parents first - I know its sort of a traditional thing to ask the girl's dad but I thought of not doing this because I want my girlfriend to be the first person to know that I want her to marry me. This sort of makes more sense in my head I think!

(b) I've just taken up a new job at the start of this year and though I have some money saved up, its certainly not enough to cover an entire wedding. Her parents or mine may chip in but I'd like us to primarily arrange/pay for the wedding. I also thought that we could get engaged (if she says of course!) and plan everything before getting married towards the end of this year. That way, we would have more money saved up?

(c) Though we've been together for quite a while, she hasn't really hinted that she wants to get married (of course she hasn't hinted that she doesn't want to either). So, I'm not sure what her response would be. I'm very sure though that I would love to spend the rest of my life with her!

(d) In terms of popping the question, her birthday is coming up and I have a nice day planned for the two of us. I've asked her to the day off and we're driving up to this little scenic village where we went for a short break last summer - really lovely views overlooking hills and rivers. We stayed at this really nice historic guest-house/cottage which I've booked for this time as well. I'm going to cook her favourite dinner, candle-lights, champagne and music. I thought it would be fitting to propose at the end? I've got the ring all picked out as well!

Let me know what your thoughts are - if I've missed anything or should consider, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Awwww I like the proposal plan . That's all I've got lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although i'm only 16, if you feel like it's the right thing to do, go for it man, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Awh this is like the cutest thing ever! Sounds great, go for it!! Good luck..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't you guys discussed marriage at all? Has she ever hinted that she would like to get married one day? It would probably be a good idea to find out but other than that it sounds like you've got everything covered. Good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Go for it! Your proposal sounds really, really sweet. The saving sounds like a great idea.

Let us know what happens if you do!

EDIT: Actually, you may want to sort of ask about marriage. Just to find out her opinions on it a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    All sounds good. (Think you've nailed it on the head with the parents thing, I'd want to be first to know too)

Like the user above said, if you genuinely don't have any idea what she'd say, might be wise to scout out the territory with some weighted questions, but otherwise: good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Go for it and best of luck

ReputationRep:
    So cute, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    TSR, why are you making me go all mushy? :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey everyone,

The title is pretty self-explanatory - I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend for 4 years, almost 5. I'm 26 and she's 25. I wanted to get a few people's thoughts on some things I've been considering/pondering:

(a) I haven't told my parents and I'm not really thinking of asking/telling her parents first - I know its sort of a traditional thing to ask the girl's dad but I thought of not doing this because I want my girlfriend to be the first person to know that I want her to marry me. This sort of makes more sense in my head I think!

(b) I've just taken up a new job at the start of this year and though I have some money saved up, its certainly not enough to cover an entire wedding. Her parents or mine may chip in but I'd like us to primarily arrange/pay for the wedding. I also thought that we could get engaged (if she says of course!) and plan everything before getting married towards the end of this year. That way, we would have more money saved up?

(c) Though we've been together for quite a while, she hasn't really hinted that she wants to get married (of course she hasn't hinted that she doesn't want to either). So, I'm not sure what her response would be. I'm very sure though that I would love to spend the rest of my life with her!

(d) In terms of popping the question, her birthday is coming up and I have a nice day planned for the two of us. I've asked her to the day off and we're driving up to this little scenic village where we went for a short break last summer - really lovely views overlooking hills and rivers. We stayed at this really nice historic guest-house/cottage which I've booked for this time as well. I'm going to cook her favourite dinner, candle-lights, champagne and music. I thought it would be fitting to propose at the end? I've got the ring all picked out as well!

Let me know what your thoughts are - if I've missed anything or should consider, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you!
    A) yes, good reasoning

B) yes, good plan

C) nice to read; hopefully she agrees!

D) sounds like a good plan.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.