Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in second year at uni and one of the few people I can call friends wanted to talk to me about an issue he was having. Why me? Maybe that will become clearer later.

He had applied to study abroad for the first term of next year but had already made housing plans with four other guys. He still hadn't told them of his plans even though he had made an agreement with the landlord.

He went through various options, one of them being that I take his place in the house then leave when he returns. This is because his other friends wouldn't want to stay in the house for only one term, while the other guys probably wouldn't want a foreign student or complete stranger sharing their house for one term.

He phoned yesterday and said that I could go for a drink with them so they can know me better in case I choose to stay with them, although he made it sound like I had almost agreed. I am going back home tomorrow so I said I would speak with my parents and let him know, but really I need time to think.

I vaguely know some of them, and I'm not sure I would get on well with them. I am an introvert and have OCD so I am worried about living with others and in case they would mock me, and I'm not sure I would want to live with others unless I knew them very well-bear in mind these people are almost complete strangers to me. I feel like his whole plan for next year is sort of contingent on my decisions, but I feel that he should have made them aware sooner. I feel like declining but I don't want to let him down...not sure what to do

(I should add that I'm not sure what I'm doing next year as I'm considering dropping out)

Don't do something just to make him happy, you have to make the decision which is best for yourself.

Just say no, his friends will have to accept a stranger moving in.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.