Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

What to do if I don't make the grades needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, for my A-levels, I'm applying for two private schools... However, their entry requirements are fairly high. I'd like to take on Biology and Chemistry and they want me to get an A in both at GCSE to take these subjects on for A-level. Although I think it's quite reasonable, I will probably struggle to get an A in Biology. This is due to a number of reasons including the fact that I've been ill quite a lot and this has impacted my learning (from missing school, etc). The main issue however is my school. They are now refusing to teach the higher tier in most classes as they've decided to focus on those who are getting Ds to try and upgrade them to Cs for the obvious government statistics (the % of students who get C-A*). I am finding it very difficult to upgrade my grade in Biology as they are not teaching the higher tier, only entering a select few people for the higher exam and there is only so much I can learn from a textbook as it is not really my preferred way of learning, although I am revising as much as I can at home.
    So my question is really, do you think I would have an issue with getting in to these schools if my grade comes out at a B? Or do you think they may make an exception if it is a high B and is not far off of an A? I have asked the schools and they said that I would need an A, but I don't think they'd tell people if they do make exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wholovespeanuts)
    they said that I would need an A
    tells you the answer I doubt exceptions would be made!
    Perhaps apply to a few other colleges with lower entry requirements.
    Try your best your best to get an A, you can't blame it all on the school if needs be teacher yourself!

What exam board are you on?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.