Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted London College of Communication as my first choice to study Journalism but I'm so lost about what to do with accommodation. As everywhere is so expensive, my brother (I'm hopeless with thinking about financial stuff) has told me that I'll have hardly any money to live on even with student finance and everything. I'd really love to live in Manna Ash House but He's recommended I apply for the Furzedown Student Village halls because it's the cheapest but I'm not sure what to make of it...(baring it mind I haven't seen what it's like and there's no 'virtual tour' on the UAL website

Is anyone else thinking of applying here/ does anybody already live here/ does anyone know what Tooting is like as an area to live in? (from what I've read it really doesn't seem nice)

I HOPE I'M NOT ALONE WITH THIS. PLEASE HELP. IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there an open day for housing? Maybe you should head down and take a look if you're in London!
    I have only been to Tooting only once and its not a bad place, considering that you're on a tight budget.
    Are you going to take a bus or tube to school? I mean because Manna Ash is of walkable distance to school, so you might be able to cut some cost somehow...
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    as the person above me said, also think about the cost of transport when choosing halls to apply to. nearby halls might have a slightly higher rent but if you can walk/cycle/take one bus, you'll probably find it works out cheaper in the long run! i live in bernard myers house, i'm at camberwell but a lot of people living there go to LCC - it's a ten minute bike or bus ride (and the bus conveniently goes from right across the road), or a half hour walk if you're up for it. it's also one of the cheapest halls to live in, but you get an ensuite, a double bed, and the kitchens are huge so it's a pretty good deal, i recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!! That is a really good point made about the tube. I'd much rather walk anyway so I think if the halls are closer (and more central to London) it will definitely make a difference with the overall living cost. Also, I was looking at the Camberwell one to begin with so the fact you recommend it has helped a lot :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am going to study graphic and media design at LCC this year.besides all that places that you have mentioned,what other options are available?I am looking for a cheap student hall or even a private accommodation if I find some nice people to stay with . Anyway,for my first year a hall will be better I think . Camberwell looks ok.Is there anybody looking for a roommate? I'm not from England and I have never been to London so I'm kinda confused with all...if you have some advice feel free to express yourself , you'll help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madl)
    Hi

I am going to study graphic and media design at LCC this year.besides all that places that you have mentioned,what other options are available?I am looking for a cheap student hall or even a private accommodation if I find some nice people to stay with . Anyway,for my first year a hall will be better I think . Camberwell looks ok.Is there anybody looking for a roommate? I'm not from England and I have never been to London so I'm kinda confused with all...if you have some advice feel free to express yourself , you'll help me a lot. Thanks in advance.
    you can stay in any student hall but bernard myers would be the cheapest place to go and the quickest to get to the college from. in england you don't have roommates - most student halls are divided into flats, so everyone gets their own room but will share a kitchen. you get randomly assigned to a flat (based on your preferences), so you don't need to worry about finding people to live with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheskarose)
    I've accepted London College of Communication as my first choice to study Journalism but I'm so lost about what to do with accommodation. As everywhere is so expensive, my brother (I'm hopeless with thinking about financial stuff) has told me that I'll have hardly any money to live on even with student finance and everything. I'd really love to live in Manna Ash House but He's recommended I apply for the Furzedown Student Village halls because it's the cheapest but I'm not sure what to make of it...(baring it mind I haven't seen what it's like and there's no 'virtual tour' on the UAL website

Is anyone else thinking of applying here/ does anybody already live here/ does anyone know what Tooting is like as an area to live in? (from what I've read it really doesn't seem nice)

I HOPE I'M NOT ALONE WITH THIS. PLEASE HELP. IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

It is the cheapest and I've applied there and already got my room!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got room 313... I did not apply for that one, but as i am internacional... i dont really remeber london, but you know what its an exprience.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
University of the Arts London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.