Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been suffering hip pain for a few years and am currently in physiotherapy and under investigation by orthopaedics so will hopefully get to the root of it eventually (I'm scheduled in for a MRI hip arthrogram which should hold some answers.)

Anyway, I am here to ask if anyone has any good forms of exercise that won't cause hip pain?

Running is the worst, I usually can't walk for the next two days after I've run at the gym, and swimming also aggravates it as well. I've Highland Danced for nearly 16 years but that's also a no no.

I really want to get trim and fit, but the problems in my hips are making it very difficult to do so! Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, have you tried using sports tape? its really helped my boyfriend when he was running, apparently it takes away the pain when you do run.

ReputationRep:
    Try some cycling if you havent already. Also do some weights exercises for upper body, your hip should be fine doing this and it's a great calorie burner.

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure how I would use sports tape on my hip?? I used it after I fractured my ankle (I was shown how to use it by a physiotherapist) but not sure how I would bind it up around my hip area?

Ahhh, I might give some cycling a go actually! That's something I've never really tried...Also, never really even considered doing weights, I've always been after the cardio. Maybe now would be a good time to take it up? Do you mean just lifting weights etc.?

ReputationRep:
    pullups?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Every exercise have some hip moment involve in it and rather you should prefer just sit and see around you...

ReputationRep:
    Cycling might be worth a go?

ReputationRep:
    Punching bag. Even that has hip involvement unless you punch like a girl...wait, I'm on to something

Swimming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sail Sale)
    Not really sure how I would use sports tape on my hip?? I used it after I fractured my ankle (I was shown how to use it by a physiotherapist) but not sure how I would bind it up around my hip area?

Ahhh, I might give some cycling a go actually! That's something I've never really tried...Also, never really even considered doing weights, I've always been after the cardio. Maybe now would be a good time to take it up? Do you mean just lifting weights etc.?
    Yep try some weight exercises such as shoulder press, bench press etc. If you want to train for endurance then do low weight high reps. Don't worry about getting huge muscles, you won't as youre testosterone levels are far lower than males( assuming youre female) also try some core exercises such as planks, crunches, leg raises etc as long as they don't hurt. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the advice! Will this still help me burn adequate calories? I find it difficult to imagine losing weight doing weights rather than cardio? Though saying this, I've never really done non-cardio exercise so don't have much to compare it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sail Sale)
    Thanks very much for the advice! Will this still help me burn adequate calories? I find it difficult to imagine losing weight doing weights rather than cardio? Though saying this, I've never really done non-cardio exercise so don't have much to compare it to.
    Yes, lifting weights is a great calorie burner (it's pretty much interval training). I find its far more enjoyable than long slow cardio too. You can easily burn 300-400 calories in a 45-60 min lifting session without completely exhausting yourself. Also, for a day or two after your session, your body will burn many more calories repairing muscle tissue, much more so than long slow cardio. Ideally a mixture of cardio, core work and lifting will be very beneficial. Just use trial and error until you find exercises that don't hurt. But remember that diet is more important than exercise when losing weight.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.