Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As part of a module for next year I've got to do a two week work placement during this summer in the media industry. I've tried for the past month contacting what feels like hundreds of companies and the only ones I've heard back from are ones that don't offer work placements. Do anybody have any tips at finding somewhere or know anywhere offering placements?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b1505)
    As part of a module for next year I've got to do a two week work placement during this summer in the media industry. I've tried for the past month contacting what feels like hundreds of companies and the only ones I've heard back from are ones that don't offer work placements. Do anybody have any tips at finding somewhere or know anywhere offering placements?
    Thanks
    I'm afraid that is going to be really tough unless you know someone in the business. Sadly who you know still makes a huge difference in many branches of the media which means many people get squeezed out of the system through no fault of their own. Worth racking your brains and asking all your relatives if they know anyone as people are generally only taken on for work experience if they have graduated and can simply be used as unpaid workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TV man)
    I'm afraid that is going to be really tough unless you know someone in the business. Sadly who you know still makes a huge difference in many branches of the media which means many people get squeezed out of the system through no fault of their own. Worth racking your brains and asking all your relatives if they know anyone as people are generally only taken on for work experience if they have graduated and can simply be used as unpaid workers.
    Thanks for the honest reply, I thought that might be the case which is frustrating as nobody I know/am related to have anything to do with the media industry.

ReputationRep:
    I had a little think about your problem, and here are some suggestions for you. I am making the assumption that you are a teenager, so apologies if you are not.

I think that you should target people who are relatively high up in the kind of companies you are interested in - the very people you feel most intimidated to contact. The reason I think this is because a lot of these people will have children who are your kind of age, and they will (possibly) be more inclined to help you. Don't worry about their being too important - they will appreciate a bit of honesty amidst the sycophants. They, one day in the past, were the same as you.

You should make individual approaches, which are personalised re: why you want to do work experience at their place - what is it you admire about them? Name names, or name projects. You should be (honestly) inspired by what they do. Tell them this, and mean it. Be brief - they will be busy.

Be honest about what you are trying to achieve, say you don't know anyone in the industry and have no contacts, but really want to learn. Ask for their help - can they give you any advice or offer you some work experience?

The second idea is, think a bit sideways - media does not need to be film/tv/radio/print - think (less glamorous but just as vital) post production. I will eat my hat if you have contacted any post production houses or sound editing houses. Do you know any? A tip is - watch a programme you like, and look for who onlined it, look for who the dubbling mixer was, and get in touch with them. Ask for advice. Check out who won the technical BATFAs, find out where they work and contact them.

You will be thinking - how do I find out their emails? A good point, as no-one you phone up will tell you this - so you will need to think a bit laterally - after all - do you think the email address for the receptionist might have the same format as the MD? Send the same email to a few likely versions of email formats.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    I had a little think about your problem, and here are some suggestions for you. I am making the assumption that you are a teenager, so apologies if you are not.

I think that you should target people who are relatively high up in the kind of companies you are interested in - the very people you feel most intimidated to contact. The reason I think this is because a lot of these people will have children who are your kind of age, and they will (possibly) be more inclined to help you. Don't worry about their being too important - they will appreciate a bit of honesty amidst the sycophants. They, one day in the past, were the same as you.

You should make individual approaches, which are personalised re: why you want to do work experience at their place - what is it you admire about them? Name names, or name projects. You should be (honestly) inspired by what they do. Tell them this, and mean it. Be brief - they will be busy.

Be honest about what you are trying to achieve, say you don't know anyone in the industry and have no contacts, but really want to learn. Ask for their help - can they give you any advice or offer you some work experience?

The second idea is, think a bit sideways - media does not need to be film/tv/radio/print - think (less glamorous but just as vital) post production. I will eat my hat if you have contacted any post production houses or sound editing houses. Do you know any? A tip is - watch a programme you like, and look for who onlined it, look for who the dubbling mixer was, and get in touch with them. Ask for advice. Check out who won the technical BATFAs, find out where they work and contact them.

You will be thinking - how do I find out their emails? A good point, as no-one you phone up will tell you this - so you will need to think a bit laterally - after all - do you think the email address for the receptionist might have the same format as the MD? Send the same email to a few likely versions of email formats.

Good luck
    Thankyou for this, I had never thought of contacting post production houses so I will give that a try, as well as emailing the MD of the companies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.