Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have just been accepted into MA Anthropology of Media at SOAS. What I want to know is what are the career prospects after doing this particular course? Has anyone over here done this programme? If yes, what sort of jobs can one land after?

Please help

ReputationRep:
    Anthropology of media? Unless you want to work as a curator I really don't see what else. I don't know why SOAS is making these retarded degrees tbh.

You might have to research this yourself. Email the department, for example, and find out what their students go on to do. You can also google generally what anthropology students go on to do (the SOAS programme is unlikely to deviate sharply from the general trend). I'm also a little surprised you applied for a postgrad programme without knowing what kinds of jobs this leads to. I mean, some people do things for the passion, and then it's irrelevant to them. But if you cared about jobs, why did you not research this before applying?

ReputationRep:
    I really didnt think Id get in. It seemed like an interesting course. Plus as long as I get a media/marketing sort of job Im fine. Im not looking to make a career out of it.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt going to help you get a job in the media. What all employers want at the moment is *experience* not endless bits of paper from courses with silly titles that have no practical application whatsoever. Dont waste your money.

ReputationRep:
    You know I was reading Education Guardian last year and there was a live marketing careers Q&A. One employer referred to this knock out marketing blog some 17 year old kid had knocked up as a way to impress. They linked to it and it was extraordinary. The guy was so impressed he that said he'd be interested in employing the kid immediately. No degrees, no A levels required. Just goes to show...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.