Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi Here's the question...

'A battery has e.m.f. E and internal resistance, r. How does the terminal p.d. change when the current drawn from the battery increases?'

The answer is:

'The terminal p.d. decreses because there's a greater voltage drop across the internal resistance.'

^^I really have no idea what this means, can anyone explain please?
    What exactly is the voltage drop, and why would increasing the current increase the voltage drop on the internal resistance but not the external resistance?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tea&biscuits<3)
    Hi Here's the question...

'A battery has e.m.f. E and internal resistance, r. How does the terminal p.d. change when the current drawn from the battery increases?'

The answer is:

'The terminal p.d. decreses because there's a greater voltage drop across the internal resistance.'

^^I really have no idea what this means, can anyone explain please?
    What exactly is the voltage drop, and why would increasing the current increase the voltage drop on the internal resistance but not the external resistance?

Thank you!
    For a fixed e.m.f, E=I(R+r) as r is a fixed quantity, if I increases, with a constant e.m.f, if Ir increases then IR must decrease.
    As V=IR if IR decreases then V decreases. Where V is voltage out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    For a fixed e.m.f, E=I(R+r) as r is a fixed quantity, if I increases, with a constant e.m.f, if Ir increases then IR must decrease.
    As V=IR if IR decreases then V decreases. Where V is voltage out.
    That's alot clearer now, cheers

ReputationRep:
    That's alot clearer now, cheers
    ...and I would give you +ve rating but it says I can't, so thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    ...and I would give you +ve rating but it says I can't, so thank you anyway
    Np

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.