Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I am a prospective international student and I would like to know which university is better in stem cell/tissue engineering field for master and doctoral degree. Both claimed to be one of the best in that field in UK (of course, without doubt). Nottingham offer MSc while Newcastle offer MRes. ( MSc too but not that specific for stem cell unlike Nottingham). Which is better for continuing to PhD?

I looked at the ranking for overall score and Nottingham is stronger (but not that significant) and has beautiful campus. Newcastle is at north and I heard it's cold there (I can't stand cold) is it that significant compared to Nottingham?

I also want to know which university is better for international students to enjoy studying there. I'm still confused to choose if later have to decide between them.

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docteur87)
    Hello everyone! I am a prospective international student and I would like to know which university is better in stem cell/tissue engineering field for master and doctoral degree. Both claimed to be one of the best in that field in UK (of course, without doubt). Nottingham offer MSc while Newcastle offer MRes. ( MSc too but not that specific for stem cell unlike Nottingham). Which is better for continuing to PhD?

I looked at the ranking for overall score and Nottingham is stronger (but not that significant) and has beautiful campus. Newcastle is at north and I heard it's cold there (I can't stand cold) is it that significant compared to Nottingham?

I also want to know which university is better for international students to enjoy studying there. I'm still confused to choose if later have to decide between them. [...]
    I find it hard to believe you are actually comparing Birmingham to Newcastle.

From a research perspective, there is no contest. Newcastle absolutely trounces Nottingham. They were the second organisation in the world to be given a stem-cell license to work on human embryos. Whether this research excellence manifests itself in a taught postgraduate degree, and whether this matches your own specific research interests, is another issue altogether. Only you can decide.

As far as the locations go, Newcastle is a cheaper and nicer city to live in in my opinion. Nottingham's campus is outside of the city itself so it depends what kind of experience you are looking for. Newcastle's campus and facilities are dotted around the city centre. For example, if you work in the International Centre for Life, where a lot of the stem-cell stuff is based, then the national railway station, regional Metro station, and loads of bus stops are right outside. This makes travel very cheap and easy.

I would say Newcastle is probably colder than Nottingham, though not because it is further north, but rather it is on the coast (i.e. it is windier). As annoying as that might be, I cannot believe any serious researcher would let that influence their decision where to study...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I find it hard to believe you are actually comparing Birmingham to Newcastle.

From a research perspective, there is no contest. Newcastle absolutely trounces Nottingham. They were the second organisation in the world to be given a stem-cell license to work on human embryos. Whether this research excellence manifests itself in a taught postgraduate degree, and whether this matches your own specific research interests, is another issue altogether. Only you can decide.

As far as the locations go, Newcastle is a cheaper and nicer city to live in in my opinion. Nottingham's campus is outside of the city itself so it depends what kind of experience you are looking for. Newcastle's campus and facilities are dotted around the city centre. For example, if you work in the International Centre for Life, where a lot of the stem-cell stuff is based, then the national railway station, regional Metro station, and loads of bus stops are right outside. This makes travel very cheap and easy.

I would say Newcastle is probably colder than Nottingham, though not because it is further north, but rather it is on the coast (i.e. it is windier). As annoying as that might be, I cannot believe any serious researcher would let that influence their decision where to study...

Oh I see...thank you very much for your information! Now there's more to think about

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.