Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would really love you guys' opinions of which uni I should firm as I cannot make my mind up at all! I received 5 conditional offers. They all have pluses and negatives, etc.
    At each uni I have chosen varying combined courses, so just based on English (Literature), which uni do you think is a better choice?
    University of Winchester, University of Hertfordshire, Canterbury Christ Church University, York St John or Oxford Brookes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Update: I have given more info in a post below which should be helpful 01/05/2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiaDreams)
    Hi, I would really love you guys' opinions of which uni I should firm as I cannot make my mind up at all! I received 5 conditional offers. They all have pluses and negatives, etc.
    At each uni I have chosen varying combined courses, so just based on English (Literature), which uni do you think is a better choice?
    University of Winchester, University of Hertfordshire, Canterbury Christ Church University, York St John or Oxford Brookes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i'd say Winchester university, but that's mainly because I love it. its small and quiet and the rooms are big, so it seems comfortable. also since the uni is small you're more likely to get more help from them and make friends easily. I'm doing Creative Writing and Film Studies tho, so its entirely your choice on what you think feels right :/

ReputationRep:
    Without listing the positives and negatives as you see them nobody can suggest where you should choose. All you'll get is people who are bias suggesting their own uni or the one that's marginally higher in a league table.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to 3 put of 5 of those, and I completely fell in love with Oxford Brooke's it's AMAZING! But we kinda need to know your positives and negatives before helping. I personally love Oxford as a place to live, with amazing history and great places to visit. the uni also has a great course (for me) and the hhalls are brand new and beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I realise I didn't really give enough info..
    Thing is, at Winchester and CCCU I applied for English Lit and American Studies. Hertfordshire for English lit with 2 other subjects (American Studies and Japanese)
    Oxford Brookes for English Lit and Japanese Studies and York St John for English Lit and Japanese(just the language)
    My problem is, I would have automatically chosen Hertfordshire first if I hadn't gone to the visit day, because I'd get to do all three things I love. However I really wasn't keen on their English Program when I got there, and then I found out they only do beginner Japanese and you can't advance.
    I liked Brookes quite a lot, however, my brother also goes there and I'm not sure if that would be weird, this is the best place to go for Japanese as you get the culture aswell as the language aspects, and you go abroad to Japan for third year, where you go to a Uni over there and intensely learn the language etc.
    I really would love to go for a year abroad because I love travelling so much and don't get to go anywhere really, and also think this could help me gain independence. I love languages alot, and have been in love with Japan since I started watching Pokemon at around 7 y/o.
    You should also know that I studied Japanese for two years prior to this, but only at evening classes, so I know the basics.
    Then there is York St John which is English Lit which I was very pleased with the sound of, but when it comes to the language side, you spend your SECOND year abroad, making it a three year course, which I would like, however when explaining how it all works, I'm not sure i would be confident enough in the language skills after the first year, and I'd only be doing a total of two Japanese modules in the first year, because you spend another module sampling other languages.
    Then onto American studies! I love America and wish I could live there someday, I adore the idea of going to a University over there, as I love their schooling system a lot.
    CCCU, is perfect for this because you have your year abroad over there in the third year, and get the choice of quite afew unis there. I also liked the look of their English Lit aswell. I think if the points to get in weren't my lowest at 240, I'd put it first, but then I wouldn't get to do Japanese at all, because i checked to see if any colleges nearby did any short courses. I also had issues with the accommodation there, and the whole building seems rather old, but the staff seems super friendly! However this one is also the furthest away as it would cost a lot to get home and would take a whole day.
    Winchester, I liked a lot, and seemed very nice in atmosphere, however I wasn't keen on their library. The accommodation was the best I've seen. I could see myself here, but I wasn't to keen on the term abroad in second year, because it looks like you miss a lot of awesome English modules, which is annoying. There didnt seem to be as wide of a variety of societies. However I found a college half an hours drive away, that does Japanese evening classes.
    My dilemma is that I have to choose between Japanese and American Studies,!which is proving very tough, but my one main love is English literature and books, so unasked for opinions hoping they would simply help sway me. The reason i didn't like the English in Hertfordshire, whose campus and other things were my fave, is because they don't allow study of anything pre-Shakespeare. This means no medieval, no renaissance and no Sophocles etc. problem because I actually like Chaucer and literature from the renaissance. Um, yeah so, Ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wooops, that was long! That why I only mentioned English before. Xx thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wooops, that was long! That why I only mentioned English before. Xx thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't speak for any of the other unis, but at York St John there are a good amount of American Literature modules that you can choose. This could be some sort of comprimise if you wanted to study American Studies. Also, do you HAVE to go abroad? It may just be an option.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the idea! Because I've ready chosen my course there, I'm not too sure. They seemed pretty adamant that if you're doing languages, you have to go abroad in year 2.

Was wondering if anyone is already doing English at CCCU, as I really liked the sound of their program, but its not very high on the tables for it. Wanted to know if it is as good as it sounded.

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going to University of York this 2013 as well but no sure whether York St. John is another name of Uni of York.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    I'll be going to University of York this 2013 as well but no sure whether York St. John is another name of Uni of York.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No it's not. It's a completely different institution.

ReputationRep:
    I realise I didn't really give enough info..
    Thing is, at Winchester and CCCU I applied for English Lit and American Studies. Hertfordshire for English lit with 2 other subjects (American Studies and Japanese)
    Oxford Brookes for English Lit and Japanese Studies and York St John for English Lit and Japanese(just the language)
    My problem is, I would have automatically chosen Hertfordshire first if I hadn't gone to the visit day, because I'd get to do all three things I love. However I really wasn't keen on their English Program when I got there, and then I found out they only do beginner Japanese and you can't advance.
    I liked Brookes quite a lot, however, my brother also goes there and I'm not sure if that would be weird, this is the best place to go for Japanese as you get the culture aswell as the language aspects, and you go abroad to Japan for third year, where you go to a Uni over there and intensely learn the language etc.
    I really would love to go for a year abroad because I love travelling so much and don't get to go anywhere really, and also think this could help me gain independence. I love languages alot, and have been in love with Japan since I started watching Pokemon at around 7 y/o.
    You should also know that I studied Japanese for two years prior to this, but only at evening classes, so I know the basics.
    Then there is York St John which is English Lit which I was very pleased with the sound of, but when it comes to the language side, you spend your SECOND year abroad, making it a three year course, which I would like, however when explaining how it all works, I'm not sure i would be confident enough in the language skills after the first year, and I'd only be doing a total of two Japanese modules in the first year, because you spend another module sampling other languages.
    Then onto American studies! I love America and wish I could live there someday, I adore the idea of going to a University over there, as I love their schooling system a lot.
    CCCU, is perfect for this because you have your year abroad over there in the third year, and get the choice of quite afew unis there. I also liked the look of their English Lit aswell. I think if the points to get in weren't my lowest at 240, I'd put it first, but then I wouldn't get to do Japanese at all, because i checked to see if any colleges nearby did any short courses. I also had issues with the accommodation there, and the whole building seems rather old, but the staff seems super friendly! However this one is also the furthest away as it would cost a lot to get home and would take a whole day.
    Winchester, I liked a lot, and seemed very nice in atmosphere, however I wasn't keen on their library. The accommodation was the best I've seen. I could see myself here, but I wasn't to keen on the term abroad in second year, because it looks like you miss a lot of awesome English modules, which is annoying. There didnt seem to be as wide of a variety of societies. However I found a college half an hours drive away, that does Japanese evening classes.
    My dilemma is that I have to choose between Japanese and American Studies,!which is proving very tough, but my one main love is English literature and books, so unasked for opinions hoping they would simply help sway me. The reason i didn't w the English in Hertfordshire, whose campus and other things were my fave, is because they don't allow study of anything pre-Shakespeare. This means no medieval, no renaissance and no Sophocles etc. problem because I actually like Chaucer and literature from the renaissance. Um, yeah so, Ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To me it sounds like it's between Brookes and CCCU. They should probably be your firm and insurance.

You're not keen on the English or Japanese parts of the course for Hertfordshire so although you'd be studying everything you wanted to in name you'd probably be happier somewhere where you are studying 2 subjects you're happy with, rather than 3 subjects you like but only 1 you're actually happy with. St John has a similar problem where you feel the year abroad is taken too early on and you won't benefit as much as if you'd done it later with a better knowledge. With Winchester there is a mix of pros and cons but if you look at what those are it seems the cons are the more important things like the library and missing out on modules, whereas the pros are less important things like the accommodation (which you only spend 1 year in at most unis).

The only downside you mentioned for Brookes is that your brother goes there, which seems a silly reason to dismiss a uni. You won't be in the same lectures/seminars and if you may not even see each other that often without arranging to meet up. I know people from my old college who go to my uni and I've only seen each of them once or twice if that. It could also have it's advantages in having someone to travel home with for the holidays or advice on the best places to go.

For CCCU there are a couple of disadvantages but you say that you would firm it if it wasn't for the low offer. If it honestly is your favourite then I think you should firm it regardless, at the end of the day you want to be wherever is best for you and it doesn't make sense to put yourself in the position where you'd rather not meet your firm grades. You could look at studying Japanese via distance learning if you wanted to keep it up alongside your degree or there is also the option of studying it later in life too. You also may prefer to take the opportunity to study in America now as you specifically say you like their schooling system, with Japan it seems more about travelling and experiencing the culture which is something you could arrange yourself for a summer during your degree or later in life. As for travel to your hometown whether that's a problem depends on how often you want to go home and if it's just a bit expensive or to the point of unaffordable. I only go home for the 3 holidays so stay for weeks rather than days, I therefore don't mind that it takes from around 2pm to 10pm door to door.

Based on what you seem to want I'd suggest firming CCCU and insuring Brookes, even though Brookes is a higher offer it makes sense to have an insurance just in case exams go horribly wrong, you miss your lower firm offer and they reject you, but your insurance who gave you a higher offer takes you anyway (does sometimes happen).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.