Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I was wondering if any law students could inform me of any useful books to read before I start uni in September. I've just firmed Exeter and want to go with some useful knowledge so I'm not completely lost. I've bought a couple of Denning books which I was told could be useful (even though they aren't up to date) and Letters to a Law Student. If anyone knows about or has read any other books that would be helpful could you let me know. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAM51)
    I was wondering if any law students could inform me of any useful books to read before I start uni in September. I've just firmed Exeter and want to go with some useful knowledge so I'm not completely lost. I've bought a couple of Denning books which I was told could be useful (even though they aren't up to date) and Letters to a Law Student. If anyone knows about or has read any other books that would be helpful could you let me know. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey there, I'm in my second year of Law at Exeter. Don't read any Law books - it's a waste of time - they really do let you in gently so don't worry! You run the risk of confusing yourself before you get here too so I strongly recommend staying well away from any Law books.

One thing I would say though is start looking up a few things about the way the country's run - the difference between government and Parliament, the different roles of the legislature (Parliament), executive (government) and judicature (courts) and just generally start reading more about politics/current affairs. Just use Wikipedia and their own websites. This will help significantly with Constitutional and Administrative Law and help keep it real for you so you don't get bogged down in all the theory.

I also believe they now offer an online service to point out a few things to read/prepare before you come. I'm not sure when this is available from (it might not be until after results) but given that you'll have a month or so that's plenty of time.

Good luck with A-levels and enjoy your summer!

I'll definitely do that. I was just so worried about going and not having any idea what the lectures were about. Thank you so much, your info has been very helpful!
    May I ask how you are finding Exeter Uni and the area? I'm from Northern Ireland so don't know much about the area and I didn't get a chance to go to an open day as I was ill during the time I had it booked!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAM51)
    I'll definitely do that. I was just so worried about going and not having any idea what the lectures were about. Thank you so much, your info has been very helpful!
    May I ask how you are finding Exeter Uni and the area? I'm from Northern Ireland so don't know much about the area and I didn't get a chance to go to an open day as I was ill during the time I had it booked!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem

I absolutely love Exeter! We have one of the most active student's unions (called the Student's Guild here) and there's literally so much to do. Have a look on their website and you can see all the societies, sports, volunteering etc. you can get involved in. The actual uni itself is absolutely beautiful. There's a registered botanical gardens on campus and we have the highest tree to student ratio of any uni And we've had so much work done recently so a lot of the building are either brand new or been refurbished recently. The final bit (the new sports park areas) will be done by the time you get here. Basically you chose the best year to join Exeter!

The local area is also really great. You've got the city which isn't massive but it's got everything you need - literally all the high street shops. It's also got really nice older areas around the Cathedral (which is REALLY impressive!) and a nice little quay. We've also got some amazing pubs and a good variety of clubs. Obviously it's not like Bristol or anywhere but the student nights are always so good. Everyone's got their own favourite so it's not like we've only got one good club, although out of the ones we do have none of them are massive.

Then you're also near the countryside as well which is great. And only a few minutes train journey away to lots of different beaches. This time last year we were sat on a beach, not so much this year, but it's great when it's warm

Law is a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but they do really nicely lead you into it. We have some really great lecturers. The head of the law school is this huge guy with the most west-country accent, but he is literally the most down to earth guy ever.

Sorry I went on a bit of a ramble, I'm a student ambassador so I'm pretty passionate about the uni and want to tell everyone everything about it haha.

I may well see you next year then, good luck with your A-levels!

Thanks so much, I don't think I could of received a better recommendation! You are obviously very passionate about the uni and I'm so excited to go! Hope to see you next year and I think I'll need to buy you a coffee or a drink for all your info. I really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAM51)
    Thanks so much, I don't think I could of received a better recommendation! You are obviously very passionate about the uni and I'm so excited to go! Hope to see you next year and I think I'll need to buy you a coffee or a drink for all your info. I really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem at all. Haha I may have to hold you to that If you have any questions in the mean time e.g. about accommodation then just PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    Hey there, I'm in my second year of Law at Exeter. Don't read any Law books - it's a waste of time - they really do let you in gently so don't worry! You run the risk of confusing yourself before you get here too so I strongly recommend staying well away from any Law books.

One thing I would say though is start looking up a few things about the way the country's run - the difference between government and Parliament, the different roles of the legislature (Parliament), executive (government) and judicature (courts) and just generally start reading more about politics/current affairs. Just use Wikipedia and their own websites. This will help significantly with Constitutional and Administrative Law and help keep it real for you so you don't get bogged down in all the theory.

I also believe they now offer an online service to point out a few things to read/prepare before you come. I'm not sure when this is available from (it might not be until after results) but given that you'll have a month or so that's plenty of time.

Good luck with A-levels and enjoy your summer!
    Thanks thats so helpful! You've saved me a lot of reading over the summer. I think I will stick to the Parliamentary website etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a 1st year law student currently revising for exams. Fun times!

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this question?

To what extent do you consider Lord Diplock’s categories for grounds of review (irrationality, illegality, procedural impropriety) in the House of Lords judgment in Council for the Civil Service Unions v Minister for the Civil Service [1985] AC 374 to be relevant and applicable in 2012?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zabamgboye1)
    Hi, I am a 1st year law student currently revising for exams. Fun times!

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this question?

To what extent do you consider Lord Diplock’s categories for grounds of review (irrationality, illegality, procedural impropriety) in the House of Lords judgment in Council for the Civil Service Unions v Minister for the Civil Service [1985] AC 374 to be relevant and applicable in 2012?
    Is this from the 2012 paper? I'm pretty sure I did this question in my exam last year!

Saying that, I'm forgetting my public law pretty quickly but I'll do my best.

I'd take each ground in turn and discuss the requirements and how their application has changed over time.

Illegality is fairly non-controversial. The obvious ones (exceeding powers, fettering discretion, illegality of fact, unauthorised delegation) you can just quickly mention and give examples of - you don't need to each area in detail - you'll get more marks with controversial grounds. You may wish to discuss legitimate expectation in slightly more detail due to the changing nature of the case law over time - but note this crosses with procedural requirements too. The Human Rights Act will give you some opportunity for analysis as it's the most recent change. Discuss declarations of incompatibility and how this has impacted the case law.

Irrationality is probably the most controversial ground. Has HRA negated the need for Wednesbury unreasonableness? That is effectively an essay question in itself but remember the question states all 3 grounds so keep this to about a third of the answer. Also mention proportionality from EU law and the different approaches that have been taken in irrationality.

With procedural requirements again there's an awful lot you could talk about. Bias, legitimate expectations, fair hearing, giving reasons - choose maybe two of these to analyse the different approaches of and how it's changed over time.

Remember to relate each paragraph back to the question i.e. if it still has a use today of whether another ground (HRA, proportionality) can now cover it. I hope that helps to some extent. All you can really do is look back over your notes and the development of the case law in each area. Remember you only have 40 minutes for each question so obviously you can't talk about everything I've put in there - choose a few issues to discuss in more detail and throw a couple of critics in there is you can.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is 2012! This has been very helpful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.