The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Career prospects at Glasgow?

I've been admitted for 2014 entry to Glasgow (MSc Political Comm) and the university looks amazing!
(I am an American/international student)

My main concern is how good is the career development office? I also have an offer from a uni closer to London. Glasgow may be a better school and cheaper cost of living, however I am concerned it won't be as easy to network with NGOs, government agencies (including the US State department) and international business. (Yes I know there is a independence referendum in 2014, which could open up some doors)

What has everyone's experience been like @ Glasgow?

I'm leaning Glasgow.
Reply 1
I'm not aware of it being particularly easy / difficult at any university to network with government agencies :lolwut:

I think a lot of what you're asking about has more to do with getting work placements / experience than the actual university, because I don't think any universities have any particular ties to things like that. So just choose your university based on where you'd prefer to go, then get all the work experience you can.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Aurora.
I'm not aware of it being particularly easy / difficult at any university to network with government agencies :lolwut:

I think a lot of what you're asking about has more to do with getting work placements / experience than the actual university, because I don't think any universities have any particular ties to things like that.

At many universities the postgraduates in political science will have opportunities to interact with representatives from government agencies and NGOs. These will be invited speakers, guest lecturers, visiting professors, former graduates, and so forth. Have a gander at the forthcoming speakers list for the LSE, where Shami Chakrabarti is chancellor. Look at who rolls into SOAS or to the War Studies department at Kings. Consider who addresses the Conservative club at Cambridge or the connections between Chatham House and Oxford or Sussex.

The OP is right in supposing that there might be less opportunity to do this at Glasgow than there would be at Oxbridge or the London schools.
Reply 3
Original post by cambio wechsel
At many universities the postgraduates in political science will have opportunities to interact with representatives from government agencies and NGOs. These will be invited speakers, guest lecturers, visiting professors, former graduates, and so forth. Have a gander at the forthcoming speakers list for the LSE, where Shami Chakrabarti is chancellor. Look at who rolls into SOAS or to the War Studies department at Kings. Consider who addresses the Conservative club at Cambridge or the connections between Chatham House and Oxford or Sussex.

The OP is right in supposing that there might be less opportunity to do this at Glasgow than there would be at Oxbridge or the London schools.

Fair enough!

I wonder if there's anywhere nearish to Glasgow that has the same calibre of guest lecture? Generally you can pay to attend guest lectures even if you don't go there, so maybe if there was somewhere close to Glasgow with that sort of speaker the OP could have the best of both :smile:
Reply 4
Ok.

I suppose worst case senario I can take the train to Edinburgh or London.

I have offers from other unis closer to London but its hard to turn down Glasgow.
Reply 5
Don't forget as well that guest lectures are generally arranged by student societies. You could always invite the speakers yourself, you don't know til you try :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest