Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    okay I am having problems knowing what the exact functions of macrophages and neutrophills are

whats the difference and what are their functions?

I have tried looking on the internet but I still cant find a clear cut sentence/paragraph stating exactly what they are and do

In my text book it mentions something about macrophages and histamines but then in another site it says it isnt the macrophages that produce histamines

any help? thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by madfish)
    okay I am having problems knowing what the exact functions of macrophages and neutrophills are

whats the difference and what are their functions?

I have tried looking on the internet but I still cant find a clear cut sentence/paragraph stating exactly what they are and do

In my text book it mentions something about macrophages and histamines but then in another site it says it isnt the macrophages that produce histamines

any help? thanks
    Macrophages and neutrophils are both phagocytic cells, both engulf invading pathogens and ingest them. Both are part of the primary response of the immune system and are recruited to infectious sites through inflammation of wounds. The main differences between the two types of immune cells would be their morphologies and macrophages generally last longer than neutrophils. Macrophages do release histamines, as well and various infammatory cytokines and chemokines.
    Name:  9123.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  8.7 KB
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Macrophages are moononuclear agranulicytes, whereas neutrophils are polymorphonuclear granulocytes. Neutrophils are smaller and can squeeze through capillaries. Macrophages by opsonisation detect and destroy foreign antigens. They also produce peptide molecules calledlymphokines, that help in immunity. Neutrophils are tamer and do only phagocytosis on a smaller scale, though they may be antihistamine, unless i am a bit muddled up
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To add to what's already been said, both may release different substances and may also be attracted by different substances (different cytokines).

Also (a bit of histopathology), neutrophils are most often the first cell type at the site the wound, or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Macrophages and neutrophils are both phagocytic cells, both engulf invading pathogens and ingest them. Both are part of the primary response of the immune system and are recruited to infectious sites through inflammation of wounds. The main differences between the two types of immune cells would be their morphologies and macrophages generally last longer than neutrophils. Macrophages do release histamines, as well and various infammatory cytokines and chemokines.
    Name:  9123.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  8.7 KB
    Thanks for that!

I have also heard they are "antigen presenting cells"

please explain?

Eugh, there immunology topic is definately the worse in AS biology
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    Macrophages are moononuclear agranulicytes, whereas neutrophils are polymorphonuclear granulocytes. Neutrophils are smaller and can squeeze through capillaries. Macrophages by opsonisation detect and destroy foreign antigens. They also produce peptide molecules calledlymphokines, that help in immunity. Neutrophils are tamer and do only phagocytosis on a smaller scale, though they may be antihistamine, unless i am a bit muddled up
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good response, I've already repped you recently though
    (Original post by madfish)
    Thanks for that!

I have also heard they are "antigen presenting cells"

please explain?

Eugh, there immunology topic is definately the worse in AS biology
    Antigen presenting cells are basically cells which present foreign antigens from pathogens on their cell surface via MHC receptors, this in turn signals t-cells that the cell (in this case, macrophage) is infected. These are 2 types of APC's, CD4+ and CD8+. I'll stop there unless you want me to continue, I don't know what knowledge is required for A-levels as this is touching university level
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The macrophages with the help of T4 cells bind to the specific sites on antigen that may be simple or antibody coated. Then T8 killer cells destroy the antigen. I can give you more detail if you require it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Good response, I've already repped you recently though .

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.