Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is a higher wage automatically seen as a higher achievement? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I notice this in almost any aspect in life I can think of. The main point I am getting at here would be the world of work. I find an awful lot of people are under the impression they are or will be better than people they know because they land some big shot job getting a **** load of money each year.

I also notice it is the people how feel they have something to prove that feel like this, perhaps they never had many friends/popular in school or maybe had been bullied. I guess they have a sort of 'last laugh is the longest' way of thinking that if they earn more money the are gifted this long laugh. Certainly there is nothing wrong with wanting to do better in life than anyone who tried to put you down or whatever. In fact what is wrong is not wanting to do better, however is a higher wage really 'doing better'?

I mean I understand the theory behind this, there are many times that I have held views parallel to this idea. But at no point did I ever think, 'I'll show them, one day I'll earn £100k a year more than them, that'll show them'. Granted that may make those people jealous, however I've never cared for what they think of me in a negative light so I'll certainly not care what they think of me in a more positive one.

Having a higher paid job means just that, having a higher wage is it not?

Or would you think that a higher wage is a sign of a more successful life?

To me a successful life is one you enjoy living. I would much rather die at 27 after a life I really enjoyed than die at 87 after a life of full-time working in a high paid job that was mostly boring with one 2-week annual holidays abroad.

We are only here once, it isn't for a very long time no matter how you look at it and life is measured my memories not time or wealth so you may as well enjoy your time here because you don't know when it will run out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I notice this in almost any aspect in life I can think of. The main point I am getting at here would be the world of work. I find an awful lot of people are under the impression they are or will be better than people they know because they land some big shot job getting a **** load of money each year.

I also notice it is the people how feel they have something to prove that feel like this, perhaps they never had many friends/popular in school or maybe had been bullied. I guess they have a sort of 'last laugh is the longest' way of thinking that if they earn more money the are gifted this long laugh. Certainly there is nothing wrong with wanting to do better in life than anyone who tried to put you down or whatever. In fact what is wrong is not wanting to do better, however is a higher wage really 'doing better'?

I mean I understand the theory behind this, there are many times that I have held views parallel to this idea. But at no point did I ever think, 'I'll show them, one day I'll earn £100k a year more than them, that'll show them'. Granted that may make those people jealous, however I've never cared for what they think of me in a negative light so I'll certainly not care what they think of me in a more positive one.

Having a higher paid job means just that, having a higher wage is it not?

Or would you think that a higher wage is a sign of a more successful life?

To me a successful life is one you enjoy living. I would much rather die at 27 after a life I really enjoyed than die at 87 after a life of full-time working in a high paid job that was mostly boring with one 2-week annual holidays abroad.

We are only here once, it isn't for a very long time no matter how you look at it and life is measured my memories not time or wealth so you may as well enjoy your time here because you don't know when it will run out...

Bravo, sir, bravo.

ReputationRep:
    I like to think that a successful life is one that's happy, finances given no consideration.

Others use wage as a way of judging because it's quantifiable. Society in general associates having more material goods with being happy.

ReputationRep:
    35k Locum Pharmacist choosing hours that suit my lifestyle > 100k 10-12 Hour daily shifts mon-friday (sat + sunday shifts too if the work place is mean)

Time does not equal money. Time > Money.

ReputationRep:
    Wages are an easily quantifiable scale that could legitimately be construed as a criterion for success. If someone gets paid a lot, they'll know it, and it's pretty easy to tell that they do in comparison to other people. It's just easy to measure, so people pick up on it a lot. How d'you measure your happiness against other people?

I very much agree with you. Although here:

you are a little reminiscent of 'yolo'.

ReputationRep:
    Work is a means to get money. Money is a way to do fun things. So, in that respect money is important. However, you spend about 2/3 of your year at work so you better enjoy it too!

In conclusion, it is good to have a balance between a job that you really enjoy and a job that gives you money.

I have friends who think they're better than me because they earn a few thousand more but I really really enjoy what I do so I don't really care - I have enough money to do what I want to so that's fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Work is a means to get money. Money is a way to do fun things. So, in that respect money is important. However, you spend about 2/3 of your year at work so you better enjoy it too!

In conclusion, it is good to have a balance between a job that you really enjoy and a job that gives you money.

I have friends who think they're better than me because they earn a few thousand more but I really really enjoy what I do so I don't really care - I have enough money to do what I want to so that's fine!
    what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    what do you do?
    I'm a geophysicist.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.