Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an essay on "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller for Int 2 English. It's due tomorrow and I'm really struggling. I've wrote one version but it is of a very poor standard and I'd like to try and improve it. I was wondering whether anybody was able to give me some advice on the main points I should focus on and structure the essay around.

The question we were given was:
    "Choose a play in which one of the main concerns is love or jealousy or betrayal or reconciliation.
    Explain what the concern is and how it is explored throughout the play."

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I wrote an essay on betrayal before my prelim so I'd be willing to help you if you give me specific pointers on what you wish help on. Although I didn't get my essay marked so it could be wrong and utter rubbish. Mines is higher, but I don't see that is much of a problem!

I'll try dig it out if you want to get back to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    I wrote an essay on betrayal before my prelim so I'd be willing to help you if you give me specific pointers on what you wish help on. Although I didn't get my essay marked so it could be wrong and utter rubbish. Mines is higher, but I don't see that is much of a problem!

I'll try dig it out if you want to get back to me!
    That would be so much help!

The original essay was about Abigail's jealousy of John Proctor but after reading it again I've found it's very loosely structured and not analysed well.

I was considering betrayal between John and Elizabeth (seen in Act 2), betrayal between Parris and Abigail (seen in the Epilogue) and perhaps another example but I can't think what other points.

Obviously, I would be analysing John's affair with Abigail to show his betrayal against Elizabeth by using either of these quotes:

1. "You will not judge me more, Elizabeth. I have good reason to think before I charge fraud on Abigail, and I will think on it. Let you look to your own improvement before you go to judge your husband any more."

2. "John...grant me this. You have a faulty understanding of young girls. There is a promise made in any bed...Spoke or silent, a promise is surely made. And she may dote on it now - I am sure she does - and thinks to kill me, then to take my place."

I'm not too sure how to analyse these quotes in depth to show the betrayal so help on this would be much appreciated. Also, I am unsure how to fully analyse the betrayal between Parris and Abigail after she runs off with his life savings to become a prostitute. And help with finding a third betrayal would be helpful - I was thinking the Girls betrayal of the townswomen but I'm not too sure.

I'm sorry it's so long but I'm really stressing about it! Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackamakka)
    That would be so much help!

The original essay was about Abigail's jealousy of John Proctor but after reading it again I've found it's very loosely structured and not analysed well.

I was considering betrayal between John and Elizabeth (seen in Act 2), betrayal between Parris and Abigail (seen in the Epilogue) and perhaps another example but I can't think what other points.

Obviously, I would be analysing John's affair with Abigail to show his betrayal against Elizabeth by using either of these quotes:

1. "You will not judge me more, Elizabeth. I have good reason to think before I charge fraud on Abigail, and I will think on it. Let you look to your own improvement before you go to judge your husband any more."

2. "John...grant me this. You have a faulty understanding of young girls. There is a promise made in any bed...Spoke or silent, a promise is surely made. And she may dote on it now - I am sure she does - and thinks to kill me, then to take my place."

I'm not too sure how to analyse these quotes in depth to show the betrayal so help on this would be much appreciated. Also, I am unsure how to fully analyse the betrayal between Parris and Abigail after she runs off with his life savings to become a prostitute. And help with finding a third betrayal would be helpful - I was thinking the Girls betrayal of the townswomen but I'm not too sure.

I'm sorry it's so long but I'm really stressing about it! Thank you so much for your help!
    I just talked about the betrayal between Proctor and Elizabeth but I presume going in to more detail and bringing in secondary characters will impress the marker!

For my essay, I made a quick essay plan on how the betrayal between Elizabeth and Proctor decreased sort of. At the start you could talk about him meeting Abigail "I may think of you softly" blah blah and talk about how his wife did not wish for him to meet with her.

I then went on to talk about when Elizabeth found out her husband had met with Abigail "You were alone with her?" You wouldn't think you could get a lot of analysis out of it but I did quite a lot on it. Like talking about how Proctor is callous to think she should just forgive him for his act of adultery and all that.

Your second quote is very good, I myself have never used it but I reckon it is a good quote.

I then moved on to act three and then started to explain how he was 'making-up' for his sins sort of, instead of continuing his prolonged betrayal he was now confessing it to the court in a bid to save his wife from being hanged. But really, it's up to you where you go with the end!

I'm not the best at English, so I wouldn't really copy me but if you get any ideas! If you are struggling with anything else in the essay feel free to quote me, I'll try to help but I probably will not be able to offer you a great deal of help - as I mentioned, English isn't my strong point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    I just talked about the betrayal between Proctor and Elizabeth but I presume going in to more detail and bringing in secondary characters will impress the marker!

For my essay, I made a quick essay plan on how the betrayal between Elizabeth and Proctor decreased sort of. At the start you could talk about him meeting Abigail "I may think of you softly" blah blah and talk about how his wife did not wish for him to meet with her.

I then went on to talk about when Elizabeth found out her husband had met with Abigail "You were alone with her?" You wouldn't think you could get a lot of analysis out of it but I did quite a lot on it. Like talking about how Proctor is callous to think she should just forgive him for his act of adultery and all that.

Your second quote is very good, I myself have never used it but I reckon it is a good quote.

I then moved on to act three and then started to explain how he was 'making-up' for his sins sort of, instead of continuing his prolonged betrayal he was now confessing it to the court in a bid to save his wife from being hanged. But really, it's up to you where you go with the end!

I'm not the best at English, so I wouldn't really copy me but if you get any ideas! If you are struggling with anything else in the essay feel free to quote me, I'll try to help but I probably will not be able to offer you a great deal of help - as I mentioned, English isn't my strong point!
    Thank you so much! I'm pants at English but I really like The Crucible so I hope I could do well in this essay. Thanks very much again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.