Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't think I'm properly depressed, as I have phases where I don't have depressive symptoms. On a usual day-to-day basis I do tend to feel quite flat and kind of out of it, but I cope fine.

But every 2 to 3 weeks, for a period of 1-2 weeks, I get symptoms of classical depression - feeling constantly sad, isolating myself, crying all the time, taking it out on friends, insomnia. Then after a week or so, they regress and I return to my "normal" state. However this has been going on for 3 years and has been notably worse this past year.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and what a good approach might be? I don't really want to seek medical advice or counselling unless I have to...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think I'm properly depressed, as I have phases where I don't have depressive symptoms. On a usual day-to-day basis I do tend to feel quite flat and kind of out of it, but I cope fine.

But every 2 to 3 weeks, for a period of 1-2 weeks, I get symptoms of classical depression - feeling constantly sad, isolating myself, crying all the time, taking it out on friends, insomnia. Then after a week or so, they regress and I return to my "normal" state. However this has been going on for 3 years and has been notably worse this past year.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and what a good approach might be? I don't really want to seek medical advice or counselling unless I have to...
    No-one does, but sometimes it's just something you have to do if it's impacting on your life. I don't really have any personal experience of what you're describing, and no one on here can e-diagnose you, so please at least consider seeing a doctor/counsellor.

ReputationRep:
    Its not uncommon in any way, quite a few people experience depression in the way you have described. Contrary to what the media would have you think, depression is this 'End of the world, 1000 yard stare' in everyone. It manifests itself in different ways.

I'd recommend you see your GP and explain in depth how you feel, write some of it down as well so they can review it at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    I've got this too, but mine got really bad so my housemates forced me to go to a counselling team at uni. I'm not great yet, but I'm better for it. I know it's hard to talk about, but trust me it helps and you can talk to these people about anything, no matter how silly it seems, without the fear of being judged for it or thought stupid. Sometimes it's good to speak to someone who isn't a friend

Don't worry, it gets better, honestly

ReputationRep:

It's definitely worth getting it looked at or at least objectively writing down what's going in your life/whats happened to you recently.

How are things going generally?

Does anything particularly trigger the weeks where you feel rubbish?

ReputationRep:

Depression does manifest itself in many different ways, and mood swings are very common. I would suggest seeing your GP and seeing what they say. Maybe some counselling would be helpful if you have things on your mind. You could also maybe try CBT (you can also do it via self help), as that can really help with depressive thinking. Maybe also consider some lifestyle changes? Like regular exercise, healthy eating, sleep hygiene? But if you are finding things difficult and its affecting your life, visit your GP

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.