Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in year 11 and will be thinking about applying for universities next year. I really want to study modern languages and although I am looking seriously at applying to Cambridge if I get the GCSE grades, I wondered if anyone could tell me what other good universities there are for languages. My A-Level choices for next year are Spanish, French, English Language and History, with AS Dance. I want to study Spanish and ab initio German, so obviously the course I would like mustn't need German A-Level. Thank you!!

EDIT: I'm predicted 5 A*s, 6 As and 1 B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    Hi, I'm in year 11 and will be thinking about applying for universities next year. I really want to study modern languages and although I am looking seriously at applying to Cambridge if I get the GCSE grades, I wondered if anyone could tell me what other good universities there are for languages. My A-Level choices for next year are Spanish, French, English Language and History, with AS Dance. I want to study Spanish and ab initio German, so obviously the course I would like mustn't need German A-Level. Thank you!!
    (Original post by tess_rach)

EDIT: I'm predicted 5 A*s, 6 As and 1 B

Here's The Guardian's university league table which ranks universities for modern languages and linguistics. Cambridge is first and Oxford a close second, followed by Southampton, Leicester and Durham.

I'm in Year 11 too! Good luck applying! x

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is more literature & Oxford is more inclined to language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you apply for a modern languages degree, you can take up to three languages and one of these can be from beginers level

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia Jane)
    Cambridge is more literature & Oxford is more inclined to language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the other way around.

League tables should be approached with a pinch of salt - things like a good location/interesting looking course should probably be higher priorities. E.g. what's the point of applying to Oxford for languages if you know you hate literature?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.