Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in year 11 and will be thinking about applying for universities next year. I really want to study modern languages and although I am looking seriously at applying to Cambridge if I get the GCSE grades, I wondered if anyone could tell me what other good universities there are for languages. My A-Level choices for next year are Spanish, French, English Language and History, with AS Dance. I want to study Spanish and ab initio German, so obviously the course I would like mustn't need German A-Level. Thank you!!

EDIT: I'm predicted 5 A*s, 6 As and 1 B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    Hi, I'm in year 11 and will be thinking about applying for universities next year. I really want to study modern languages and although I am looking seriously at applying to Cambridge if I get the GCSE grades, I wondered if anyone could tell me what other good universities there are for languages. My A-Level choices for next year are Spanish, French, English Language and History, with AS Dance. I want to study Spanish and ab initio German, so obviously the course I would like mustn't need German A-Level. Thank you!!
    (Original post by tess_rach)

EDIT: I'm predicted 5 A*s, 6 As and 1 B

Here's The Guardian's university league table which ranks universities for modern languages and linguistics. Cambridge is first and Oxford a close second, followed by Southampton, Leicester and Durham.

I'm in Year 11 too! Good luck applying! x

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is more literature & Oxford is more inclined to language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you apply for a modern languages degree, you can take up to three languages and one of these can be from beginers level

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia Jane)
    Cambridge is more literature & Oxford is more inclined to language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the other way around.

League tables should be approached with a pinch of salt - things like a good location/interesting looking course should probably be higher priorities. E.g. what's the point of applying to Oxford for languages if you know you hate literature?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.