Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get my idiot-genius girlfriend to wise up and go to university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    She is such a idiot. She is smarter than anyone I know, she is basically a math genius compared to people in her school yet she has no intention of going to university. She sat Physics, Maths and Further Maths and got A*A*A*+a in History.

I told her she would have a chance of getting into any university for maths, engineering, finance etc...basically any course she wanted to do. Yet she still decided on a gap year.

Since she was a kid teachers never really gave her the time of day really due to behaviour issues and because of this she was convinced she was stupid. However clearly someone close to her noticed something in her and got her well tutored in maths and within a couple of years she had come further than everyone in her class has in 5. The funny thing is she never seemed to care, she never asked to sit GCSEs or A-levels early, she just sat in the class and pretended she was learning new content. She said she didn't want the rest of the class thinking she thought she was above them. All she seemed interested in was bloody cooking food.

See, when she was 14 she wanted to become a chef and did that day release thing where you go to school 3-4 days a week and then work/go to college the other 1-2 to do a vocational trade (so she did catering). So on her gap year she worked as a full-time chef at a pretty good restaurant (nothing very fancy but well above the pay grade of a 19yr old so I guess she is somewhat decent).

So when I asked her if she wanted a hand with her personal statement she said, 'don't think I'll bother tbh'.

****ing couldn't believe what I heard after I said what are you going to do? She plans on travelling around the world with her surf board to all the best places in the world for food and surf. She says she'll work in restaurants or food stands if visas are not possible. She started telling me she would go to South East Asia, then Mexico and Central America before on to South America and then to Africa...as if I care about her silly adventures. She could be sitting in an office earning 6 figure salaries in a few years, but she is throwing all of it away to go play chef and surf around the world over the next few years.

I got really angry and left when I made her cry. So can anyone tell me what would be the best thing to say next time I see her that would convince her to go to university?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    She is such a idiot. She is smarter than anyone I know
    Brilliant.

You can't force her to have a career which she doesn't want. If your girlfriend is happy doing what she wants then you should be happy for her.

ReputationRep:
    Nice try troll, no boyfriend would be that much of an ejeeot and not support their partner's dream. She's clearly a bloody good chef, if she enjoys it, why should she sit in an office, bored to wits end just because she'd earn a bit more cash?

ReputationRep:
    So what if shes smart? Why does that automatically mean university is the right solution? :|

ReputationRep:
    If she wants to take another gap year then bloody let her take another gap year. Obviously she wants to explore the massive world we live in. What's wrong with that?

To be honest, I hope she wises up and dumps you if you keep this up. She deserves better than someone who wants to force her to do something she doesn't want to. You're clearly making her unhappy, and for what?

ReputationRep:
    Grow up and stop acting like her boss, its a free world and she can do what she wants

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol'd

ReputationRep:
    You have SUCH a complicated life...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...274&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Nice try troll, no boyfriend would be that much of an ejeeot and not support their partner's dream. She's clearly a bloody good chef, if she enjoys it, why should she sit in an office, bored to wits end just because she'd earn a bit more cash?
    It isn't that I don't support her, if she wanted to be a chef that would be fine with me. However I am going to uni and she wants to go around the world for who knows how long, I may never see her again this decade for all I know. It will be the end of the relationship and I really like her, that I my problem, that is why I got angry.

(Original post by Razzamoly)
    If she wants to take another gap year then bloody let her take another gap year. Obviously she wants to explore the massive world we live in. What's wrong with that?

To be honest, I hope she wises up and dumps you if you keep this up. She deserves better than someone who wants to force her to do something she doesn't want to. Your clearly making her happy, and for what?

It isn't a gap year though, it is the start of her career. She plans on being a full-time chef. What is wrong with it is I won't be going hence we will break up.

ReputationRep:
    Youre being a good boyfriend in thinking about providing what you feel a more stable future for your gf. But she has her own dreams and she seems to be doing well. It's good to do what you love and with her grades, she can always go to uni if she ever wants to as it's never too late to learn. Let her live it instead of living with regrets ^^
    There are celebrities that have extremely high IQ's and yet are actors and actresses instead of engineers/mathematicians and they're happy with what they've chosen. Just support her for now

ReputationRep:
    Your girls seems to be a beautiful person, without stereotypes and with a great vision on her life. To be honest, she doesn't deserve someone like you because all she needs is support in her plans but you are just being mercantile saying "get a job, earn money, woman!".

ReputationRep:
    It isn't that I don't support her, if she wanted to be a chef that would be fine with me. However I am going to uni and she wants to go around the world for who knows how long, I may never see her again this decade for all I know. It will be the end of the relationship and I really like her, that I my problem, that is why I got angry.

It isn't a gap year though, it is the start of her career. She plans on being a full-time chef. What is wrong with it is I won't be going hence we will break up.
    It is hard to be away from someone you love, but would you like to be the person that she'll forever blame? I personally would not like a partner to go around the world without me but I can't stop them, I'd feel too guilty. And I understand it does hurt but what ever that is yours will remain yours, if it goes away then it wasn't meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    Good A Levels open doors but they don't close others. it simply gives her more freedom over what should could do and for her, university doesn't seem like something she wants to do. in the future its an option but for the time being you should be as supportive as possible fo her as her boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    lol'd
    failing to see how this is funny.

Guys, I know that I can't make her do something she doesn't want to, but I am asking what can I say to make her change her mind. She will regret not going so I am doing her a favour.

ReputationRep:
    You said you were gay in another post. That's not fair on your GF.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather a woman who makes you a good spag bol when you get home, or one who is fascinated by statistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

So you want her to give up her dreams and ambitions for you?

ReputationRep:
    failing to see how this is funny.

Guys, I know that I can't make her do something she doesn't want to, but I am asking what can I say to make her change her mind. She will regret not going so I am doing her a favour.
    You should encourage her to do Astro-physics or Engineering at university. If she really is an A* student, then pressure her parents to force her to go to university.

So it's not about her, it's about you. You're scared she's going to find someone better and break up with you. How selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So it's not about her, it's about you. You're scared she's going to find someone better and break up with you. How selfish.
    I really like her and don't want to lose her. That isn't selfish

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.