Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep it straightforward:

Got offers to study Computer Science from top unis (Warwick, Southampton etc.) and i'd planned on firming Southampton.

Had a talk to our Computing class from an old teacher about apprenticeships at his new job: http://www.uk.capgemini.com/careers/...pprenticeships

It's a 5 year deal with them putting you through a degree in Computing and IT Practce along with other qualifications, and a salary that starts at £10k and goes up to £27k.

Now i'm unsure of what to do, i'm expecting high grades (AAAA) so is it a good idea to apply for this apprenticeship? If so, should I still firm/insure my choices and apply for finance etc, because I heard if you get your grades to go to your firm you have to go there, you can't not go?

Also, do you think the degree they put you through is this one: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...cation/q62.htm and would I be able to choose one of the pathways they talk about (ie. CS, Software Development) or would they choose the path I take? I'm not very interested in the business side of all this but want to become a software developer

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I can see the great appeal of such apprenticeships but since you have offers from excellent uni CS depts I wouldn't turn down the opportunity. Uni is a social and educational experience that is very valuable in your career

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I would still stick with uni as it would open up so many more doors both educationally and socially, for example networking or placements. Also a degree from a top uni is well respected by employers. With so many graduate training schemes you might wanna check them out to see what you could do with your degree.
    also uni may leave you with a change of heart, you may find teaching or another career path in computing much more suited to you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.