Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an A grade student in maths admitably i should work harder but how can i improve my maths skills to a high level like a*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggers98)
    I'm an A grade student in maths admitably i should work harder but how can i improve my maths skills to a high level like a*
    TBH

The difference between an A and an A* is understanding rather than hard work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    TBH

The difference between an A and an A* is understanding rather than hard work
    The A* and A grade students , as you rightly point out, are separated by one thing: the ability to understand concepts and apply them to unusual cases. This is not always the case, but mostly is. Other than that, it's practise. No-one is born with anything, you need to grind and work smartly.

ReputationRep:
    But literally i've decided that i need my maths as something in my career so u're saying that even if i do start working i won't succeed
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    But literally i've decided that i need my maths as something in my career so u're saying that even if i do start working i won't succeed
    I think you have to repeatedly question "why". Rote-learning will guarantee you an A if your smart however taking that time to read the text and understand for example how formulae are derived will see you getting >90%.

ReputationRep:
    So what advice would you give me to help me improve in maths coz i want to be the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    The A* and A grade students , as you rightly point out, are separated by one thing: the ability to understand concepts and apply them to unusual cases. This is not always the case, but mostly is. Other than that, it's practise. No-one is born with anything, you need to grind and work smartly.
    What about the difference bwtn B/C grades and an A grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    What about the difference bwtn B/C grades and an A grade
    They perhaps did not understand the concepts in the specification clear enough, did not show they can apply their knowledge to unfamiliar situations, did not do as many past papers and learn exam technique. Anyone can get A's. It's just work + understanding concepts+ working hard whilst engaging in the correct methodology and doing it smartly.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has said that

You need to understand the concepts that you have been taught and then practice applying them to different questions

ReputationRep:
    No-one is born with anything,
    I disagree

I have met many gifted mathematicians in my time

They are born with an aptitude, a pre-disposition to understanding the concepts

ReputationRep:
    Keep on doing practice papers until you understand all the types of questions that they can throw at you.

ReputationRep:
    disagree, there are people out there that are just gifted at mathematics. I'm not saying they don't have to work but you can't say that everyone is born with the same level of mathematical aptitude.

ReputationRep:
    Dont sleep in class...
    Also go back home and just go through the concepts of maths.
    It'll really help.. trust me.
    + it wont take too much time, its just a matter of 15-20 mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    disagree, there are people out there that are just gifted at mathematics. I'm not saying they don't have to work but you can't say that everyone is born with the same level of mathematical aptitude.
    The people 'gifted' at mathematics were probably brought up and exposed to maths to think about it 'intelligently' from an early age, or had some kind of exposure - perhaps self exposure-. OP, you can mould this kind of thinking inside yourself, and work hard. In my own experiences, with respect to A-level and GCSE maths, I was terrible at it from a young age, but I always got good results. People tried to shove down the idea that 'sometimes people are just 'clever''. I never bought it. I said, alright then, and worked hard and worked smartly anyway. Maths = practise. Problem solving mathematics = trying to change the way you think - which again consists of practising technique for problem solving to improve intuition. OP, don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't do something.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys, just one more question, any recommended tips?

ReputationRep:
    whilst engaging in the correct methodology and doing it smartly.
    Can you expand on this please ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.