Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have come across two different median formulas:

1) (n+1)/2

2) n/2

and have been told to use the former when dealing with discrete data and the latter when dealing with continuous.

Therefore, would it be fair to say that when dealing with medians for frequency tables, stem and leaf diagrams, etc. it would be appropriate to use (n+1)/2 as those represent discrete data, where as when dealing with medians for grouped frequency tables, cumulative frequency graphs, histograms, etc. it would be appropriate to use n/2 as they represent continuous data.

I ask this because I came across an example in the Edexcel book where the formula n/2 has been used to find the median for a stem and leaf diagram and now I'm unsure whether what I have been told is correct or not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is about the size of the data set. With a large data set n/2 is a sufficiently good approximation for (n+1)/2 for it to make negligible difference to the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personager)
    I have come across two different median formulas:

1) (n+1)/2

2) n/2

and have been told to use the former when dealing with discrete data and the latter when dealing with continuous.

Therefore, would it be fair to say that when dealing with medians for frequency tables, stem and leaf diagrams, etc. it would be appropriate to use (n+1)/2 as those represent discrete data, where as when dealing with medians for grouped frequency tables, cumulative frequency graphs, histograms, etc. it would be appropriate to use n/2 as they represent continuous data.

I ask this because I came across an example in the Edexcel book where the formula n/2 has been used to find the median for a stem and leaf diagram and now I'm unsure whether what I have been told is correct or not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mr M has the ken.

If you think about the +1, you realise that in datasets of 000s it would be negligible difference. If it's just 10, it makes a lot of difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It is about the size of the data set. With a large data set n/2 is a sufficiently good approximation for (n+1)/2 for it to make negligible difference to the answer.
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Mr M has the ken.

If you think about the +1, you realise that in datasets of 000s it would be negligible difference. If it's just 10, it makes a lot of difference.
    I see. But when I use n/2 in small data sets, I get a significantly different answer as compared to the answer I get when using (n+1)/2. Which one should I use?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see. But when I use n/2 in small data sets, I get a significantly different answer as compared to the answer I get when using (n+1)/2. Which one should I use?
    (n+1)/2 as I previously explained.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that's the point we're making, you will get a big difference with small data sets. Thus, when the data set is small use (n+1)/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Also I apoligise if you've confirmed this before but for the upper quartile is it \frac{3(n+1)}{4} or \frac{3n+1}{4}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Also I apoligise if you've confirmed this before but for the upper quartile is it \frac{3(n+1)}{4} or \frac{3n+1}{4}
    First for small data sets, second for large

ReputationRep:
    I always say 3/4(n+1) so there's no confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy-Boy-206)
    First for small data sets, second for large
    Sorry if this is a dumb question (and I full well know that it is) What is the difference between a small data set and a large data set? Thanks, also would it be Q_1=\frac{n+1}{4} for small data sets and Q_1=\frac{n}{4} for large data sets

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a dumb question (and I full well know that it is) What is the difference between a small data set and a large data set? Thanks, also would it be Q_1=\frac{n+1}{4} for small data sets and Q_1=\frac{n}{4} for large data sets
    Answer to first question is that I honestly would not know. The difference in using the two formulas will become smaller and smaller as the data set increases in size. I'm an engineer not a statistician so can't be any more help than that And to answer your second question, yeah that's correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Exactly that's the point we're making, you will get a big difference with small data sets. Thus, when the data set is small use (n+1)/2.
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I thought so, however when doing questions from the text book, one of which asks me to find the median of 21 sets of data, the answer stated at the back of the book is one that I get one by using n/2 rather than (n+1)/2.
    Similarly, the same question then goes on to ask the upper quartile and using the formula 3(n+1)/4 gives the wrong answer as the answer stated in the book is the answer I would get by using 3n/4

ReputationRep:
    Answer to first question is that I honestly would not know. The difference in using the two formulas will become smaller and smaller as the data set increases in size. I'm an engineer not a statistician so can't be any more help than that And to answer your second question, yeah that's correct.
    Alright thanks, would you know what form such data sets come in, so I can easily recognise them, e.g. cumlulative tables, an array of numbers, frequency tables, discrete tables, class boundary tables etc.

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks, would you know what form such data sets come in, so I can easily recognise them, e.g. cumlulative tables, an array of numbers, frequency tables, discrete tables, class boundary tables etc.
    Any I would of thought

ReputationRep:
    Any I would of thought
    Ok now I'm confused, so I can use either formula and get the marks?

ReputationRep:
    When asked to find the median of a small set of discrete data (say 20 pieces of data represented on a stem and leaf diagram), I use the (n+1)/2 formula and get the 18.75th term as the answer. Would I round it down to 18.5 and therefore find the mean of the 18th and 19th terms to obtain the answer? Or is this incorrect and should I go about it some other way?

ReputationRep:
    When asked to find the median of a small set of discrete data (say 20 pieces of data represented on a stem and leaf diagram), I use the (n+1)/2 formula and get the 18.75th term as the answer. Would I round it down to 18.5 and therefore find the mean of the 18th and 19th terms to obtain the answer? Or is this incorrect and should I go about it some other way?
    I've generally done it this way and its seen to be correct, with quartile parts e.g. 18.75, you round up to 19

but if its halfway between two terms 18.5 lets say, you add both terms on each side up and divide by two and round if necessary
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How long is a piece of string?

And yes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought so, however when doing questions from the text book, one of which asks me to find the median of 21 sets of data, the answer stated at the back of the book is one that I get one by using n/2 rather than (n+1)/2.
    Similarly, the same question then goes on to ask the upper quartile and using the formula 3(n+1)/4 gives the wrong answer as the answer stated in the book is the answer I would get by using 3n/4
    Perhaps they don't care what you put as your answer? You don't seem to have discovered yet that much of statistics is mathematical woo-woo.

15 different ways to calculate quartiles:

http://www.amstat.org/publications/j.../langford.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.