Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

'Shin Splints'? or over working? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I have a question regarding tightening pain around the bottom half of my shins. Lately I have been in a lot of pain when I start walking, for example, if I walk to the shop which is around a mile away. Not far at all.

The pain I can only describe as getting very tight as though my muscle at the side and under my shin is trying to get 'out'!

Eventually, after 5 minutes walking I end up walking like I have a problem and I'm starting to get a little worries that I have hurt myself with running and hill work.

Can anyone give me some advise on what it would be and the best to solve this issue. Even pre-work out workouts?

Thanks all

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor, no one online can properly diagnose your pain. Although it does sound like shin splints rather than overworking

ReputationRep:
    First Id advise you see your doctor to confirm whether or not you have shin splints. If these are shin splints, the only proven cure is rest. Minimise the amount of walking you do for at least 3-4 weeks. (I did a presentation on shin splints not too long ago)

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, when I have shin splints, the shin area also feels inflamed. I recommend seeing a doctor; they'll probably prescribe you with some ibuprofen and tell you not to play sports or exert yourself for a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to ease off a lot once I have warmed up, is this common?

Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard somebody describe shin splints like that.

Could be DOMs or chronic compartmental syndrome. Couldn't tell without examining you or more information about the pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Both sound bad!

All I can say is that its a bad pain, like its getting super tight and I end up walking funny haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    Both sound bad!

All I can say is that its a bad pain, like its getting super tight and I end up walking funny haha

It could be growing pains which is something that will eventually go. I had something similar a few years back where my knees were really painful when I began to run but it eased off after a bit of warming. Lasted around a year then it gradually went away.

ReputationRep:
    You mean growing pains as in muscle growing? As I'm 28 and I stopped growing on the conventional sense a long time ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    You mean growing pains as in muscle growing? As I'm 28 and I stopped growing on the conventional sense a long time ago!

Haha, well forget that then, thought you were younger.

ReputationRep:
    Just been to see my doctor and she said;

That its my muscles getting use to walking.

Which my reply was basically a confused face. She said that that because I have swapped jobs (one which I walked a lot all day for 12 hours) to one that I tab and run and walk up and down hills, etc that my shin muscles that help me walk are getting use to it.

Load of rubbish if you ask me.

What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    Just been to see my doctor and she said;

That its my muscles getting use to walking.

Which my reply was basically a confused face. She said that that because I have swapped jobs (one which I walked a lot all day for 12 hours) to one that I tab and run and walk up and down hills, etc that my shin muscles that help me walk are getting use to it.

Load of rubbish if you ask me.

What does everyone else think?

Doesn't sound right to be honest. From my experience, doctors seem like they don't have a clue for sports injuries/Muscular issues etc. A physio is probably your best option.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.