Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to university but have grave concerns about debt. Im worried about how im going to afford the course, accomodation fees and general finance. At the moment im thinking of changing my mind and doing apprentiship only because of the uni costs. What advise can you give me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bracken1996)
    I really want to go to university but have grave concerns about debt. Im worried about how im going to afford the course, accomodation fees and general finance. At the moment im thinking of changing my mind and doing apprentiship only because of the uni costs. What advise can you give me?
    You don't pay back any debts until you're earning over 21k. Everything is paid for until you finish your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have no need to worry about course costs, thats all covered by student finance. How much maintanence loan and grant you get depends on your parents so could be more of an issue if they earn a lot but don't give you anything.

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually looked into this?

Student Finance will cover all your course fees up front. You will also get a maintenance loan or grant, whether or not you get a grant and how big it will be depends on your parents income. Basically if you are below around £25,000 ish you will get some kind of grant.

Student Finance payments for most people will cover their entire costs, however some people may also need/want to get a part time job while studying.

IIRC
    Student Finances debt, doesn't have to be paid until you earn over 21k and you will pay 9% of the income you earn over that. The debt is interest free, however it does rise with inflation to maintain the same value.

Everyone can afford university, its a case of whether it makes financial sense. Your course costs per year will be 9k+living costs 3-4k or 5-6 if you live in London. You are most likely looking at £40,000 of debt. However your working life will be at least 40 years. You need to ask what effect a degree will have on your career and earning prospects.

ReputationRep:
    You can afford to go to university. You will get a loan for all of your fees and a loan for living costs. You will only pay the money back when you earn over 21k (9% of everything over 21), so if you can't afford to pay it back, you won't have to.

ReputationRep:
    there is no problems with money
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can get a loan to cover the tuition fees and a bit over half of accommodation/living costs. You'll still need to find about £2-3k per year to live from as literally all of my maintenance loan goes on accommodation (is still £200 short and I live in fairly cheap accommodation!). It's different if you get grants, but not everyone is entitled to them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.