Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure where this goes I'm sorry if its in the wrong place-
    does anyone have any ways to higher self confidence? I love singing and can sing, but I'm really shy and won't do it in front of anyone, I wanted to put a video on YouTube but I won't have me on the camera, a few of my friends and parents have heard me sing but I could never do performances etc. is there any ways people have used to be more self confident? Thanks:-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have the exact same problem. For people like us, the issue is mainly the bad feeling that other are judging and are going to be mean. I was always told to make a pair of glass eyes... guess what? It works! All it means is that when people are ashamed or self conscious, they lower their eyes and start bringing bad feeling upon themselves, so just ignore the situation. Pretend that what you are doing is perfectly normal, which it is! There are hundreds of others who create songs (like me) out there and I have found that the majority of people and viewers are not unkind. There are the occasional few, but that's just life. Sooner or later, criticisms make us stronger, so fire yourself up. Start feeling that you are unstoppable and that you will take youtube in your stride.

Also, controlling your emotions isn't that difficult, so just step over that nervous barrier, like a small fence. Think about what you are ashamed of most and start seeing it as a way of life. The best time to do this is when you are calm, rather than in an emotional turnmoil. Hope this helps and I hope you feel better and more confident. Just remember, make shameless, glass eyes. It's what all performers do and make others believe that there is nothing strange in what they have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazzycatx)
    I'm not sure where this goes I'm sorry if its in the wrong place-
    does anyone have any ways to higher self confidence? I love singing and can sing, but I'm really shy and won't do it in front of anyone, I wanted to put a video on YouTube but I won't have me on the camera, a few of my friends and parents have heard me sing but I could never do performances etc. is there any ways people have used to be more self confident? Thanks:-)
    I think just working your way up with performing to a few more people each time could work to build your confidence. Hope this helps!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    In all honesty, rejection and insults are the only way you'll ever get over social anxiety.

Sounds mad, but it's like when you go rock climbing as a kid, and you're afraid of falling. And then you do fall, but the rope catches you and you realise there's absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Who cares what anyone thinks? Don't let a fear of failure hold you back!

There are loads of little things you can actually do to help though. All actors and performers (Even someone like Michael Buble who's been performing confidently for a long time) will warm themselves up physically and mentally. Some stars cope by creating an alter ego (Beyonce Sacha Fierce for example, or Lady GaGa). It might help if you post under a fake name for a while, and make sure you warm up by having a full stomach and warm clothes. A girl in manchester literally stands outside the arndale singing so she can get her confidence up for the x-factor, she went from really shy to really good in a week or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    In all honesty, rejection and insults are the only way you'll ever get over social anxiety.

Sounds mad, but it's like when you go rock climbing as a kid, and you're afraid of falling. And then you do fall, but the rope catches you and you realise there's absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Who cares what anyone thinks? Don't let a fear of failure hold you back!

There are loads of little things you can actually do to help though. All actors and performers (Even someone like Michael Buble who's been performing confidently for a long time) will warm themselves up physically and mentally. Some stars cope by creating an alter ego (Beyonce Sacha Fierce for example, or Lady GaGa). It might help if you post under a fake name for a while, and make sure you warm up by having a full stomach and warm clothes. A girl in manchester literally stands outside the arndale singing so she can get her confidence up for the x-factor, she went from really shy to really good in a week or so
    Thankyou so much! I'm going to try things like this maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Declan)
    I think just working your way up with performing to a few more people each time could work to build your confidence. Hope this helps!
    Thanks I think this is the way I'll probably do it! Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4Y)
    Hi! I have the exact same problem. For people like us, the issue is mainly the bad feeling that other are judging and are going to be mean. I was always told to make a pair of glass eyes... guess what? It works! All it means is that when people are ashamed or self conscious, they lower their eyes and start bringing bad feeling upon themselves, so just ignore the situation. Pretend that what you are doing is perfectly normal, which it is! There are hundreds of others who create songs (like me) out there and I have found that the majority of people and viewers are not unkind. There are the occasional few, but that's just life. Sooner or later, criticisms make us stronger, so fire yourself up. Start feeling that you are unstoppable and that you will take youtube in your stride.

Also, controlling your emotions isn't that difficult, so just step over that nervous barrier, like a small fence. Think about what you are ashamed of most and start seeing it as a way of life. The best time to do this is when you are calm, rather than in an emotional turnmoil. Hope this helps and I hope you feel better and more confident. Just remember, make shameless, glass eyes. It's what all performers do and make others believe that there is nothing strange in what they have done.
    Thanks! Yeah that's a good idea, I'm just really nervous and i think your right, people judging is a big one, ill give it a go

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.