Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression coming back as it 'seems' my relationship is troubled help/advice? Li Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'll try to keep this short and coherent.
    I'm a 22yr old student at uni with a colourful history of depression/anxiety.
    Just some historical context,....I was at uni last year living away, I struggled to cope with life. Always been quiet and sayed in a lot became abit of a loner, never really thought I had friends. I was born prematurely with cerebral palsy and had me fair share of troubles. Got bullied the usual story, have low self esteem and no confidence. Even a year on since I left uni because I couldn't cope, was on the brink of suicide. Have been on SSRIs (citalopram) for about 7/8months.
    Just come off them, been off for month or so. Met a great GP since I came home he is really undersanding. But haven't been back for appt since weened off the medication. Just to backtrack abit, once I came home I met my first GF and re-enrolled at a local uni, and my life seemed to turn around. I was happy and recovering

And now for various reasons my relationship seems like it's running its cause (my GF has had doubts about our relationship. And just admitted to it). Depression and social anxiety slipped back in, and I'm so low, can't stop thinking of her. Love her, but things ain't worked out. I'm n denial don't want it to end, but I love her. Can't take it not more, I'm emotional. Drinking heavier everyday... Getting worse. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

First of all, you should probably not drink - Alcohol will only stimulate your depression and bring you down, making you believe things are much worse than they are.

Seconly, if you love her, let her go, give her some time. It would be selfish of you to hang onto something that isnt making her happy. Also, it will give her a chance to think about things. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and everything!

Finally, focus on university, you have another chance at it, at a place you can be happy! Dont waste it, focus all your energy on getting everything for uni done and stay motivated!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.