Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Basically, I'm sort of choosing between three universities. Two are English universities, and one is Scottish (St Andrews). It happens to be even more unaccessible than Edinburgh, because it's not even a direct route from London to St Andrews.

The thing is, I just feel so guilty about considering going to university in Scotland. My parents don't really want me to go because it's too far away, but I'm worried that I might want to put it as my first choice, but I can't because the guilt would kill me.

Compared to the English universities, the term dates are longer as well so I couldn't go home so easily as if I went to an English university.

I don't know how to feel/what to do! Can anybody give me any advice? Was anyone ever in the same sort of position?

Any replies would be so helpful - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be, do what you want to do! Choose the uni you like best and the one that offers the best course! If you choose the second best uni just because you feel guilty about leaving home, you will most probably regret it in the end.

I'm going to go to a Scottish uni as well and my hometown is over 1000 miles away from Scotland
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Just to note that there is a direct train route from London to Leuchars, which is a 5 minute bus ride from St Andrews.

I think greymoon gives good advice. Do what you want to do, and not what someone else wants you to do as you may end up regretting it a few months down the line if you decided not to go to St Andrews. Your family will get used to it, and should understand that this is what you want to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.