Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have been playing around with different ideas lately and I realised that I really love game theory! Strategic decision making sounds like something I would be good at as a living. I often get called logical/rational in my solutions to problems and so I think I probably have an aptitude for it too.

My question is what you think the best way to get into this very big field would be. Would it be a political science degree? Or an economics degree? A maths degree?

I have no idea what sort of things I need to be looking at to get into this sort of thing!

Any help would be great! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

ReputationRep:
    Just one more in case anyone has any info!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually have an answer...but really curious as to what game theory is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    So I have been playing around with different ideas lately and I realised that I really love game theory! Strategic decision making sounds like something I would be good at as a living. I often get called logical/rational in my solutions to problems and so I think I probably have an aptitude for it too.

My question is what you think the best way to get into this very big field would be. Would it be a political science degree? Or an economics degree? A maths degree?

I have no idea what sort of things I need to be looking at to get into this sort of thing!

Any help would be great! Thanks
    I'm currently doing my EPQ on this , so if you know any useful links, good books to read etc.. please let me know .
    Although there isn't a specific Game Theory degree I would say it's usually more centered towards Economics - since it's largely used by Economists, firms etc... in decision making (although you could possibly cover it in Maths I think), you would cover a portion of Game Theory in a Economics degree and then later I'd you would be able to specialize in Game Theory at Masters/PhD level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    I don't actually have an answer...but really curious as to what game theory is?
    It's mathematical modelling of decision making.
    Basically you find the best decision to make for the best outcome overall/on average.

I actually used it to work out wether I should ask someone out, for example, though it is used in economics to make more complex decisions than that, but the principle is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    It's mathematical modelling of decision making.
    Basically you find the best decision to make for the best outcome overall/on average.

I actually used it to work out wether I should ask someone out, for example, though it is used in economics to make more complex decisions than that, but the principle is the same

Wow, sounds really interesting! I really didn't know maths could be so applicable to everyday life.

Good luck in finding out the answer you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I'm currently doing my EPQ on this , so if you know any useful links, good books to read etc.. please let me know .
    Although there isn't a specific Game Theory degree I would say it's usually more centered towards Economics - since it's largely used by Economists, firms etc... in decision making (although you could possibly cover it in Maths I think), you would cover a portion of Game Theory in a Economics degree and then later I'd you would be able to specialize in Game Theory at Masters/PhD level
    I just google famous problems tbh. Wish I could help a little more!

I figured pretty much the same but it is also used in politics etc to so I'm wondering how that works in terms of what sort of qualifications they would be looking for!

Basically, I'm hoping game theory will be a big part of whatever degree I do
    Econ and maths would probably be sensible I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    Wow, sounds really interesting! I really didn't know maths could be so applicable to everyday life.

Good luck in finding out the answer you need.
    Me either until recently. It's awesome!

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Could always include something on John Nash. The Beautiful Mind gained game theory a lot of popularity considering it was practically unheard of!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.