Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Today I haven't had such a good day (and here I am sharing it with TSR!).
    It's about my A Levels subject teacher's which I have previously mentioned in other thread posts.

Well two out of three of my subject teachers cannot teach. It's horrible, and History is an incredibly hard A Level too. Anyway, to cut to the chase, last year my class had to keep adapting to new teachers - because they kept coming and going and they were all unhelpful. And this year, finally, a teacher comes along and looks like he knows what he's doing. But then again, the novelty wears off. I don't find his teaching style helpful whatsoever, he puts on video clips from movies- that's not enough depth for History!

Well a similar story with my other A Level subject, our teacher tells us to pretty much teach ourself.

And it has recently got to me, I'm sick of having bad teachers. So I started to miss my lessons and today my Tutor asked me and I told him I'd tell him at the end of the lesson, and when I did I erupted into tears. I felt like an idiot but after all those months of anger and frustration at my ridiculously unhelpful lessons, I couldn't control myself.

He said to me he's going to talk to my teacher about it. But I've been thinking, how is that going to resolve the problem? My teacher's not going to suddenly start teaching in a way that is suited to me. I have a feeling he's going to hate me, I have a fear of that. That's what withheld me from 'grassing' them up. beacause my teacher's are nice people but not good teacher's. And I have really high aspirations...

I feel frustrated at all this because I've never confided in a teacher before, and I don't even find them trustworthy. I didn't even get a chance to tell my Tutor about my other worries about my other subject....I just thought he's going to think I'm the problem.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. *sighs*.

ReputationRep:
    The teachers can only do so much in the time slots they have with you. They're not the ones that are going to get you the A's, you are. This aint primary school anymore where you can just do what the teacher says and do well, you gotta do a lot of your own independent work now in A-Levels. Sorry, it's not just them, it's you aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Is everything okay with your family and social life? It sounds like you're blaming them for something else, I don't see why you'd burst into tears or skip lessons just because you think the teacher is bad, I'd just put up with it and go to the lessons while self-teaching.

(Original post by Kousar)
    It's about my A Levels subject teacher's which I have previously mentioned in other thread posts.

Well two out of three of my subject teachers cannot teach. It's horrible, and History is an incredibly hard A Level too. Anyway, to cut to the chase, last year my class had to keep adapting to new teachers - because they kept coming and going and they were all unhelpful. And this year, finally, a teacher comes along and looks like he knows what he's doing. But then again, the novelty wears off. I don't find his teaching style helpful whatsoever, he puts on video clips from movies- that's not enough depth for History!

Well a similar story with my other A Level subject, our teacher tells us to pretty much teach ourself.

And it has recently got to me, I'm sick of having bad teachers. So I started to miss my lessons and today my Tutor asked me and I told him I'd tell him at the end of the lesson, and when I did I erupted into tears. I felt like an idiot but after all those months of anger and frustration at my ridiculously unhelpful lessons, I couldn't control myself.

He said to me he's going to talk to my teacher about it. But I've been thinking, how is that going to resolve the problem? My teacher's not going to suddenly start teaching in a way that is suited to me. I have a feeling he's going to hate me, I have a fear of that. That's what withheld me from 'grassing' them up. beacause my teacher's are nice people but not good teacher's. And I have really high aspirations...

I feel frustrated at all this because I've never confided in a teacher before, and I don't even find them trustworthy. I didn't even get a chance to tell my Tutor about my other worries about my other subject....I just thought he's going to think I'm the problem.

:console: I've sometimes felt like this in the past, particularly with the 'my teachers are good people but not good teachers' bit. Only thing to do is to buckle up and put enough effort to drag yourself through it, I'm afraid. A Twain quote comes to mind: 'I have never let my schooling interfere with my education'. There are plenty of educational resources apart from your teachers - even though they are and should be a massive part of it - so you should try to make the best use of them and push yourself where you feel your teachers may be lacking. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRamAlot)
    The teachers can only do so much in the time slots they have with you. They're not the ones that are going to get you the A's, you are. This aint primary school anymore where you can just do what the teacher says and do well, you gotta do a lot of your own independent work now in A-Levels. Sorry, it's not just them, it's you aswell.
    I get where you guys are coming from. I don't think you understand, it's really bad teaching. For example, when I missed my lesson I was in the library doing my work myself. I found that more productive than my lessons. So I wasn't being a rebel of any sort or expecting to be spoonfed!

I know the amount of work I had to put in last year! By the by, I got AAAB for my grades. But that was with effort at times because I had to teach myself, that's the problem. You shouldn't have to teach yourself at A Level, that's more about university.

(Original post by TKVN)
    Is everything okay with your family and social life? It sounds like you're blaming them for something else, I don't see why you'd burst into tears or skip lessons just because you think the teacher is bad, I'd just put up with it and go to the lessons while self-teaching.
    To be honest with TKN, there were other things escalating. I was pi***d off in general at things at that wasn't helping any of it. It frustrates the hell out of me when other people feel the same about their subjects but don't speak up, because one day before the exam that's when they realise they don't know anything (and it's then when they point fingers at their teacher- which is wrong...)

Thanks for responses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    :console: I've sometimes felt like this in the past, particularly with the 'my teachers are good people but not good teachers' bit. Only thing to do is to buckle up and put enough effort to drag yourself through it, I'm afraid. A Twain quote comes to mind: 'I have never let my schooling interfere with my education'. There are plenty of educational resources apart from your teachers - even though they are and should be a massive part of it - so you should try to make the best use of them and push yourself where you feel your teachers may be lacking. :yes:
    Thank you very much, I will take your advice on board.

I'm just embarassed about tomorrow now! Encountering my teacher after having 'sniched' on him argh. And my tutor will be checking on me.Cant stand it....

ReputationRep:
    I had some terrible teachers at A-Level - like yours, they were really nice people but they just couldn't teach! I ended up having to teach myself the bulk of A-Level Physics and Biology. It was difficult, but it's achievable with hard work so I'm confident you can do it! Ultimately, I achieved A*AA and am now studying Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tallen90)
    I had some terrible teachers at A-Level - like yours, they were really nice people but they just couldn't teach! I ended up having to teach myself the bulk of A-Level Physics and Biology. It was difficult, but it's achievable with hard work so I'm confident you can do it! Ultimately, I achieved A*AA and am now studying Medicine.
    Wow, well done! That's amazing. Thanks

The thing with me is, I spend most of my time moaning. Last year I was so afraid of failing that I pretty much memorised my history course and I came out with a high A But I was just dreading that going through that 'painful' revision again this year, I guess that's why I started crying. Oh, in retrospect, it was so embarassing! I feel horrible about it now, maybe I should've kept it to myself.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)

i had the same issue when i did my a-levels, half the times the teacher would not turn up and end up giving us homework on something he hasn't even taught the class. I was really lucky that my parents got me private home tuition..which i found extremely beneficial...although it is quite pricy ..i suggest this as an option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzl8)
    i had the same issue when i did my a-levels, half the times the teacher would not turn up and end up giving us homework on something he hasn't even taught the class. I was really lucky that my parents got me private home tuition..which i found extremely beneficial...although it is quite pricy ..i suggest this as an option
    I couldn't do that for various reasons. Firstly because it's way too late thus impractical, I've only got 3 exams in June left then I'm leaving college! And secondly yes, you got it bang on. Way too pricy.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that their way of teaching you isnt best suited to you is hardly their fault, problems arise if they are just bad teachers, which i wouldnt call a style. If they are so, i often have found that awful teachers make me revise loads out of fear. I know it may mot seem like it ow, but bad teachers might be a blessing in disguise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliemac41)
    The fact that their way of teaching you isnt best suited to you is hardly their fault, problems arise if they are just bad teachers, which i wouldnt call a style. If they are so, i often have found that awful teachers make me revise loads out of fear. I know it may mot seem like it ow, but bad teachers might be a blessing in disguise.
    I agree with that Because I often wonder whether I would have actually got the grade I did if it wan't for the mess up of teacher's at our college.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.